Sirloin Tip Roast

Hi there, I have a 2 lb sirloin tip roast which I’d like to have at medium rare. It is about 5 inches thick at the thickest point. How long should I cook it for? Thanks!

Jungle, that’a a solid cut of meat from the rump which will benefit from a 12 to 24-hour cook at 133F.

Are you sure about its 5-inches thick?
I’m having trouble picturing that thick a roast only weighing 2 pounds.

If so, I’d cut it in half so you have two pieces of almost identical thickness that will cook in the above time range. Of course it will be more like two thick steaks then, but you can still slice it for service just as you would do for roast beef. I’d thinly slice it across the grain on a 45-degree angle to have larger slices.

You probably don’t want to know why there’s such a large time range, but i’m going to tell you anyway. If you cut the roast in two and it’s from a relatively high grade animal the 12 hours will do. If you decide to leave it in one piece, which may compromise its safety, it will need 24 hours, or even 36 hours if it’s USDA Select grade.

After cooking, don’t forget to pat the meat dry, season well, and give a quick and very hot browning for flavour and colour.

Save the tasty juices in the cooking bags to make a little pan sauce or gravy to serve with your beef.

1 Like

Hello, Just cooked a 4 lb sirloin tip roast, 48 hrs at 128F, came out perfect. Wish I could add a photo.

1 Like

Our local Kroger had Top Sirloin Steak on sale for $2.99 per pound. I had a “steak” cut three inches thick.

After trimming off all of the fat and connective tissue, I rubbed with the packaged “Au Jus” powdered gravy mix. Just sprinkle the dry powder directly on the meat and allow to dry age, uncovered, in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Vacuum bag and immerse at 135 degrees 9-12 hours for a perfect medium-rare. Chill and slice thin cross grain. Reserve the Au Jus and heat just to boiling. Pour over meat to warm.

1 Like