Tried to post this earlier but can’t find it. If this is a re post let me know and I will delete it. (my first time posting on this site). How large of a turkey or chicken can I cook with this method. TIA.
People have cooked entire sides of beef using sous vide in a hot tub. I cannot think of any reason a chicken or turkey would be an issue.
Any size… but you must break down the bird. Brine the bird either with wet or dry method prior to cooking. I’ve had great success with the process below.
Cooking the Turkey Breasts
- Preheat the water oven to 146F/63C.
- Sprinkle the breasts lightly with poultry seasoning and ground black pepper and vacuum seal them in a large food-grade pouch with ¼ stick (1 ounce/30 grams) unsalted butter.
- Cook the breast meat for 2 ½ hours.
Cooking the Turkey Leg Quarters
- Preheat the water oven to 176F/80C.
- Sprinkle the leg quarters lightly with poultry seasoning and ground black pepper and vacuum/seal them separately in two large food-grade pouches, each with ¼ stick (1 ounce/30 grams) unsalted butter.
- Cook for 8 to 10 hours (overnight works well.)
@jetjockey54 Thank you for providing - super helpful! Did you sous vide your turkey for Thanksgiving?
Jordan… yes. I’ve done it now for the past couple of years.
@jetjockey54 - I haven’t been brave enough to sous vide the whole turkey yet but this makes it much more approachable.