Ugh! (non-sous vide steak)

I did 123F for about 40 minutes - used the recommendation from:

Added an extra 10 minutes as these are pretty large sea scallops :slight_smile: I thawed them in a sink of water in the freezer bag before I salted them and cubed up about 1/4C of butter with them, then used that same sink to do the water displacement on the bag.

SO incredibly sweet and tender! drooling Didn’t end up having them last night - got busy and it was 9pm before I realized it, so just BBQ’d a few sausages on the balcony. Too hot to cook on the stove when it gets over 40C with the humidex. :frowning: Supposed to get a break from this heat wave on the weekend.

Edit: In a way I’m glad I sold my air conditioner a month ago - this heat wave is helping to get my body prepped for the blistering temps I’ll encounter in India and elsewhere in Asia. :slight_smile:

Edit2: Also, after reading this article:

…my expectations weren’t that the sous vide scallops would be all that better than just searing them in the pan. Well, I have to violently disagree with the author. IMHO, these are so much better than just pan searing. Heh. Maybe these scallops are just THAT good, but I’m not going to gamble with them being anything less than perfect - so I’ll be repeating my method next time. :slight_smile:

Thanks for that. Will definitely be trying this!

Michi, thanks for asking temp and time as I was going to until I saw your post! :slight_smile:

Steven - It depends on where you’re heading to in India, but when I was there it was over 46C for a few days so prepare yourself well! I was in Hyderabad. Maybe you’re traveling to someplace cooler? One thing you really want to make sure you do is treat any water you drink. I’d even recommend boiling and adding grapefruit seed extract to bottled water if you can “just in case”. Brush your teeth with bottles/cleansed water, etc., etc. If you can avoid any “stomach issues” associated with drinking the water you will have a much nicer time there.
I’ve a lot of friends from India and while I was getting ready to go there some of them recommended trying various “street foods”. Others were of the opinion that eating the street food would be nuts! :slight_smile: I be a little careful, but they have some great food there so hopefully you have friends living there that you’ll be visiting who can take you out! I found even the strangers I met there to be very friendly and welcoming folks so I think you’re going to really enjoy yourself.

Thanks! :). Yep, I’ve been reading a lot about traveling in India. Have one of those purification straws that will clean the water. Read a lot about avoiding street food, so I’ll likely do that and just do restaurants…that and try to find as many places as I can that the locals are eating at. :slight_smile:

Nope, don’t know a soul. Just going to dive in. :slight_smile:

I can handle the heat a lot better now…that nearly 80 pounds I lost was really raising my core temperature.
32C doesn’t even make me sweat anymore…so hopefully 46C isn’t so bad. :slight_smile:

Only actually spending a couple weeks in India before moving on as it’s the monsoon season. Will be staying in the northern/central areas, where the weather should be better. (at least less damp) :slight_smile:

Hopefully I land a job in New Zealand and can make more often visits when the weather’s better. :slight_smile:

SO much diverse culture in Asia…looking forward to getting as much as I can. :slight_smile:

Ack! I, somewhat carelessly, did my sear at too low a temp and too long, so this time around they weren’t as buttery tender. Won’t be making that mistake again!!! :frowning: Still delicious, but they could have been perfect sniff

With my Bacon, Blue Cheese, Walnut, Onion, Maple Vinaigrette salad. :slight_smile:

Selling my complete sous vide kit (searzall and benzomatic torch already went the other day) on Thursday, so just a few more meals. Going to poach some haddock and sole over the next couple of nights…then it’ll be gone. sigh.

I’ll still likely check in until I fly out on the 22nd…after that, not so much. :frowning: Won’t be cooking for myself again until I actually decide where I’m going to live.

It’s been fun being a part of the forums for the last few years!! :slight_smile: Looking forward to how the products evolve.

Cheers!! :slight_smile:

Steve

Happy trails! Hope you have a safe trip and that we hear from you soon.

2 Likes

Personally I think you should keep your Anova and take it with you on your trip!

I can see you now, riding on a motorcycle through the far east, Anova in the saddlebag…and trailing an extension cord clear back to Canada to ensure you’ve got the right power to keep it running perfectly! :wink:

Take lots of pictures!

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve never really used my Flikr account, so logged into it the other day to test out linking an album from my wordpress blog…was pretty easy. :slight_smile: Seems they’ve bumped it up to 1TB of storage for free?? (guessing Yahoo’s likely doing something like Google and using your images in some devious way) shrug I don’t care - I’ll upload pics to there, then link them in my blog - so that way I keep the size of the site down to just text. :slight_smile:

No matter the outcome, it’s going to be an adventure!!! :slight_smile: As the Aussie’s have good standards (as opposed to going diving in the Caribbean (“No worries man, you’re fine”) :wink: - going to likely take some diving classes and get certified while I’m there looking for work. :slight_smile: Lots of places to dive around there - should be a blast!!!

Definitely want to go back and spend more time in India and south-east asia when the weather’s better as well.

We’ll see if I make it to South Africa - really hoping I land something in NZ. :slight_smile: