Using the Chamber vacuum to hydrate cookie dough?

Was reading thru the following cookie Anova recipe suggests using precision chamber vacuum to accelerate dough hydration but does not go into any detail.

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/AHvyP6iTlndURu8wbhQY

Just looking for details like vacuum mode, duration etc.

Also since the Anova Precision Chamber Vacuum limits your choice in cookware dimension would using a FoodSaver style vacuum storage container with the edge sealer external hose attachment achieve a similar result?

Lastly, from a food science perspective, what is going on here and how does it play into the end “cookie” result?

I can’t speak to cookies, but I played around with tortilla dough. One cycle of the compress/pickle setting, and that dough was hydrated well. You can see the difference really well, and I don’t think it would have benefited from a second cycle anymore. I imagine cookie dough would work the same. I have hydrated tortilla dough with a food saver, but still had to let it sit for 10 mins. Chamber Vac did it in 40 sec.

1 Like

Thanks @bobbynate. That is so cool. Make we want to do some tortilla dough as well now.

Blockquote Lastly, from a food science perspective, what is going on here and how does it play into the end “cookie” result?

Yes, please, enquiring minds would like to know. I have made a ton of cookies of many kinds and don’t recall ever “hydrating” cookie dough.

You surely have, that’s one of the purposes of the “rest” step in many cookie recipes. (The other one, if it’s a refrigerated rest, is to solidify the butter).

Hydrating here I think just means letter the water distribute evenly throughout the dough (letting the dry ingredients, primarily flour, soak up water from the wet ingredients like butter and eggs).

1 Like