Vacuum seal steaks without the squeezed/pinched edges?

I know you’ve all dealt with this. When vacuum sealing my steaks, the vacuum sealing process pinches the edges of the steaks (filets in particular) and I’m interested in the best approach to keep this from happening. Some thoughts…

1. Freeze or partially freeze the steaks before vacuum sealing
  2. use some sort of round but stiff silicone ring to keep its shape
  3. do #2 first with cardboard ring, partially freeze steak, then remove the ring and then vac seal

other ideas?

1 Like

Mike. i simply wrap Filets or Rb Eyes tightly with many layers of cling film to hold their shape. And yes it is better to vacuum pack them frozen so there’s zero compression.

You need to build up the layers of wrap It’s easier to do if you start with a large piece of meat, wrap it, then slice into portions. Butchers often use a heavier grade of plastic wrap for this purpose.

I tend to truss them with string. It’s quick, simple, effective and cheap.

1 Like

So do i Ember, but for the culinary salon steak with the sharp top edge all around that Mike seeks wrapping is the answer.

I push in on the edges of my steaks, shaping the edges as they are vacuuming. They are still malleable at that point, and I can form the edge I want. Similarly, if I’m vacuuming soft or loose materials such as bulk sausage or hamburger for freezing, not for sous vide, I spread and flatten the contents for more efficient storage in the freezer.

I buy steaks or chicken fresh Season, wrap in baking paper or cling film, freeze, unwrap with seasoning still on the meats then vacuum seal as my unit will not seal juicy stuff, frozen is best. Even if your recipe requires other seasoning what is already done won’t hurt!!! Good luck xx

The best reason to flatten items too be frozen is to speed the freezing process for food safety.

Well your assuming we all use vacuum bags. I use Ziploc freezer bags, and while I can suck the air out of them quite well with a straw, it’s not enough to smash the edges of the meat.

Maybe I just don’t know what I’m missing, because I’ve never used a vacuum sealer. But I have done about 60 or 70 SV’s in the last 3 months, and the Ziplocs have worked great every time (zero leaks).

1 Like

Since I have received my heater SV I have been using process and each time no problem I do add spices to add for flavor . I am inclined to think it has made our experience great each time .

Fishchris, As much as you sous vide I think a good sealer for you would be a vacuum chamber sealer. You can seal in moist, even liquids, ingredients and it will help infuse into the meat. If I were to buy a sealer now I would definitely spend the $1,000 to get a chamber sealer. I wish I had done that instead of the Food Saver I have now, though I am really happy with that, don’t get me wrong, it just doesn’t do wet stuff at all.

Wow ! I could buy a lot of Ziplok freezer bags for $1000 :slight_smile: I just find them very easy, and 100% effective. If I ever do anything a lot larger, I can always get the 2 gallon bags, but haven’t had to do that yet. I double bag everything, then reuse the outer bag for other storage uses.