Welcome to the Forums

@jimsteph Welcome aboard! What have you been cooking with your Precision Cooker so far?

Regarding your avatar, you should have access to edit it and upload a new profile image now but if you are still experiencing permission issues, please shoot me a PM so we’ll get it all taken care of. Thank you!

Hello and welcome, @Graham! Glad to hear you’re hooked on precision cooking already! Have you had a chance to try out any of the Anova recipes yet?

Hello @sjliu - did you get a chance to use the code to purchase a device for your friend?

I have just purchased my Anova One, after much searching online. I need to have a cooking container, Has anyone had any experience with the 48 can Coleman Party Cooler,( I have seen where someone says the 24 can isn't deep enough for the Anova One) it seems like what I need, but there is no sources of information that I have found, I have for years used smokers for low and slow, but I think with me being retired and living in an apartment this might be the way for me. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bob

@“Robert Sehl” Welcome to the community! You might be interested in checking out our thread on vessels - @gmacted and @Simon_C and many more of our community members have come up with a lot of cool ways to use coolers, fish tanks, and more. I’m sure they would be happy to share their DIY vessel tips with you! You can find the thread here: Best Vessels/Containers for Precision Cooking - General - Anova Community | Food Nerd Forum | Anova Culinary

Hello, just joined the community but I have been using the First Generation Anova Cookers for almost a year now. We have been using them in a commercial setting and actually burned through one already but that was to be expected as we use it every day for multiple items on the menu. I have a back up but wanted to purchase the Anova Cooker Pro as it seems to be more geared for this environment. Love the product and love the consistent results! Could someone let me know when the pro (US) will be available for purchase? Thanks!

Hi, My name is Jane. I bought Anova a month ago and use it at least once a week. First with Filet Mignonette, then chicken thigh stuffed with Spinach and Feta cheese, Tri-tips for sandwiches, pork tenderloin stuffed with Cherries and mushrooms…In the future I can cook more in the weekend and dresses it up before meals. Kids and husband love it. Thank You. Thinking of buying extra one for party and such…Love the red ones but did not see you are offering that color…

Hello, my name is Karin and I have just ordered a Anova Precision Cooker for my husband …
I must however, admit that it is as much for me, and I am crazy like a child at Christmas, to get started on make super delicious food.
I think it’s really cool that there is a community where you can get help and advice, and it’s even cooler that there is super delicious recipes posted and that they are easy to follow.
I have already found a few or ten, to be tested as soon as I get my little nugget home.

@randyroscoe I am really curious about how much work you put that poor unit through for it to keel over. How many covers per day? Did you switch it on and off as needed or start it up in the morning and switch it off at night?

@Kiddocat I got that butterfly feeling in my stomach waiting for my APC to arrive, and was not disappointed. This is probably the most friendly and helpful community I’ve ever been involved with, so if there’s anything you need please ask :slight_smile:

I recently found out about sous vide cooking. The funny thing is that for many years, I’ve been using this basic method for reheating food without overcooking it and drying it out (I usually store leftovers in vacuum bags, and found that sticking them in simmering water for 10 minutes reheated them nicely and retained texture and moistness). Once I found out about this cooking process, I researched the various home models and the Anova circulator came out on top. Looking forward to trying one out!

@Simon_C I actually got it from out catering department so it was in slightly “un-cared for” state. We would only use it once or twice per day but after awhile it started to lose temp accuracy and then the first fuse blew. After that it would turn on and then we’d look over and it would be off. Then it wouldn’t turn on at all, we replaced the fuse again but to no avail. That’s why we are moving to the Pro, i’m letting them use my personal but it’s making me nervous :0

@“Steve P” Welcome! Pretty cool that you already discovered a bit of a sous vide solution before you even heard of the method! Have you ordered a Precision Cooker yet or are you awaiting a shipment? You’re going to love being able to have more control over the temperature of the water as opposed to the simmering method. It’s a pretty fantastic device, I use mine ALL the time!

@Jane I’ve had fantastic results with NY Strips or as my butcher calls them “faux filets”, hehe. Welcome to the community! Do you have a favorite recipe you’ve created that’d you’d like to share? That chicken thigh recipe sounds pretty outstanding… :slight_smile:

@Kiddocat Welcome, feel free to ask any questions or share what you and your husband make. One of the things I started doing is making poached eggs on the weekends for my wife and I. She sleeps in and I am up early to let the dogs out so I crank up our Precision Cooker and poach eggs. If I am abtitious I will cook some bacon and make this quick Hollandaise sauce:

jordan said:
@jimsteph Welcome aboard! What have you been cooking with your Precision Cooker so far?

Regarding your avatar, you should have access to edit it and upload a new profile image now but if you are still experiencing permission issues, please shoot me a PM so we’ll get it all taken care of. Thank you!

My very first experiment was scrambled eggs (I made half the recipe): the end result was very creamy french-style scrambled eggs, and were pretty good. I don’t know that I’ll get a craving for them all that often, but clean up afterwards is a heck of a lot easier than if I do it on the stove, and a lot less work.

A couple of nights later I cooked up some chicken breasts, and ended up making a cream sauce with the bag juice (plus some extra chicken stock). I’m still trying to dial in the temperature that gives me the texture I am used to (so my wife and daughter will even touch it), but the sauce helped hide any perceived defects in the chicken itself.

Last week I got a yen to try flat-iron steak: I’ve never had it, but a whole lot of people on the web sing the praises both of its taste and of its price. This one turned out to be a disaster: the texture was just plain weird, almost like pork, and I don’t know if that’s normal for flat-iron steak or because I cooked it so long. I used the time and temparatures from Dad Cooks Dinner: 24 hours at 131ºF. I think if I take a chance on it again I’ll do no more than a couple of hours.

Finally, earlier this week I had an unqualified success: country style pork ribs (original recipe at Sous Vide Life). The only modification I made was to use both rosemary powder and thyme in the rub, and to slather in BBQ sauce and broil until the sauce charred (I ran out of propane for the grill, unfortunately), rather than make the Dijon sauce (my girls don’t like mustard, unfortunately). The texture was perfect, and the taste was outstanding. I think I’ll keep the time and temp, and try a few flavor variations: I’m dreaming of char siu pork ribs …

I haven’t planned the next meal, but so far I’m really satisfied with Precision Cooker.

@jimsteph I need to try scrambled eggs. I have been stuck perfecting ways of making poached eggs. My out of the shell experiments were not so great. A lot of trouble for a so so result. In the shell is the way to go. I have jumbo eggs with a lot of double yolkers. I am cooking them in the shell at 75° C for about 15 minutes. Very close maybe a minute more next time. At the higher temperature the time is a critical part for eggs.

I think tomorrow I will uncover my smoker. I want to try combining sous vide with smoking. Hopefully I can achieve the best of both worlds.

Kristoffer here! Not all new to Sous Vide since im in apprenticeship as a chef and we have heat circulators at work, but i havent really messed with it at home yet! looking forward to when i can afford one of the Anova Cookers!

@“Kristoffer Nielsen” Welcome to the community Any tips you might have would be welcome.

As said before i have a basic knowledge about sous-vide BUT i havent had the opportunity to play around with it yet :smiley: since my boss tells me exactly what to do with the stuff that we are sous-videing and doesnt always have the time to explain why we do it the way that we do, but sure of course i will share my experiences and future projects!

Thank you @Simon_C I will keep that in mind.
Just counting the days till it arrives :smiley:

Can’t wait to cook short ribs low and slow. I keep checkin but keep missun the code.