Welcome to the Forums

@rickschaper Check back for today’s :wink:

@kiddocat Have you received it yet?? How many days left until it arrives? Excited for you!  =D>

Just starting out on sous vide an the Anova unit. So far, so good. Did a nice piece of corned beef and some vegetables. Looking for the perfect pot that will retain the heat. Nice to have this forum.

I just received my Precision, today.  I had a grass-fed organic brisket thawed from our annual purchase of a side of beef, and was dreading the long-drawn out process to cook it properly.  But thankfully, the Anova came in time.  Opened it up, found the brisket recipe on your web site, and it now about 6 hours into its 48 hour cycle. I was debating between the ONE and the PRECISION, the app is not something I care about, maybe IF it were wifi it might be useful.  But the clamp with adjustable height appealed to me. Though I still wonder if the 5-6 gallon vs the 4-5 gallon difference would have been worth the non-height adjustableness.  Oh well. Still looking forward to tasting the first result.  I am also wondering why th brisket recipe does call for 12 oz liquid, when most all meat recipes and the manual suggest dry with spices, otherwise poaching occurs?  And why are the pix and videos I see showing a white unit, and mine is black?  The white seems to have a clamp so assuming it too is a Precision?

@JayDPiii  I have one container that holds just under 5 gallons and it really holds a lot of food. I don’t do many feasts so I believe the extra capacity would go unused. The ability to move the clamp to accommodate different pots is a great idea. I use this all the time. Cooking 1 chicken breast I can use a small pot. I use this way more than I would the extra gallon.

I think the final result using beer and seasoning will be more like a braised piece of meat. Most recipes are done dry or with oil. http://community.anovaculinary.com/discussion/598/using-oil-in-the-bag#latest

The white was one of the early models. It will be a collector’s item in the future sous vide collectors market.
:"> They no longer offer it.

Good Day my name is Bob and I just purchased a Anova sous vide Precision Cooker.  I did strip loins tonight and I have two questions: 

1. almost all recipes call for kosher salt, I followed the recipe and found the steak on the salty side.  Is kosher salt a requirement for using the sous vide method?

2. How do you do the  water immersion technique?

regards
Bob v
  1. No Kosher salt is not a requirement. Salting is very personal and I always do it to taste. Seasoning is a key component when cooking sous vide. Thyme and Rosemary go well with meat in the bag if you like their flavor.

2. If you are using a ZipLoc bag; arrange the food in the bag, slowly lower the open bag into the water bath. The water will push out the air. When you are right at the zip close it.

@Bobvat Just to add to what @john.jcb said about kosher salt… It is not required but if you are not using kosher salt you will usually need to use less table salt than the amount of kosher salt called for. Kosher salt has a larger crystal size that standard table salt so there is less salt in a teaspoon of kosher salt vs a teaspoon of table salt. To make matters even more confusing, different kosher salts have different densities so you can still over salt even using kosher salt if you are using Morton brand kosher salt and the recipe creator uses Diamond Crystal kosher salt. The link below is pretty great post from Kenji of Serious Eats on the topic of table salt vs kosher salt. The moral of the story is basically don’t forget to use salt but don’t always trust the amount called for in the recipe. Salt to taste and you can always add more later if necessary.

Do I Need to Use Kosher Salt? | Ask The Food Lab

Plus, there’s something about the sous vide process that can amplify the flavours of some herbs and spices. For dried spices that can work in your favour, but I prefer to only use salt after the cooking process has completed. I once pre-salted a bag of carrots and when finished they tasted like carrot-shaped salt sticks and were very unpleasant to eat. 

New to sous vide cooking. My Precision Cooker is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. App is downloaded so I’m looking forward to using it. I’m sure I’ll have a few questions about several things. I’ll avoid the dreaded “what’s the best” type questions and use the search function. I did ask a question that is floating around here somewhere.

Welcome to the community. Two quick tips for your steak. Make sure you dry it with paper towels before searing and season it well. A really hot pan or grill for a minute a side will really add to the steak.

Hey Y’all,  I’m John from New Orleans.  I’ve seen the sous vide process on numerous cooking shows, but always figured it was not cost effective for home cooking, or not feasible for the types of meals we prepare.  I recently received an offer for $100 off, and couldn’t pass up the deal. For my first attempt, I cooked steak according to recommended temperatures for medium to medium well.  Not sure if altitude has anything to do with immersion cooking, but the steaks came out a bit more done than anticipated.  Tender and tasty, but more like med well than med.  Just did baby back ribs for Fathers Day and they were outstanding.  Dry rub only and cooked at 144 degrees for 20 hours.  We also did chicken, so I upped the temp to 149 and added the chicken for two hours.  Fired up the gas grill and gave nice finish to both ribs and chicken.  Everything was great.  Want to try some fish next, then maybe other seafood such as shrimp, scallops, etc.  Looking for other recommendations for proteins as well as veggies.  Forum looks great and hope to learn a lot more from here.  

@jselph I had one guest that wanted a steak a little more done so I cooked his medium at 140° and he liked it. I did not try it as I like mine in the lower 130’s.

I like vegetables as most all of them are done using 183° F and I don’t have to look it up. My favorites are corn on the cob, carrots and sweet potatoes.

Try some of the tough cuts of meat cooked for long periods. They have great beef flavor. Short ribs, brisket, etc. Chicken breast is also a quick favorite.

Really looking to order one today but just can’t decide if i should wait on a discount code or not. such a tough decision :frowning:

Hello from Sao Paulo, Brazil! Finally, after a trip to the US, I was able to buy my Anova.  Already did my first meal (chicken breast) and was amazed. better than expected.  Btw, the design of the Anova Sous Vide appliance is better than what I expected and I am sure, as soon as I get the habit of cooking with it for friends, more people in Brazil will end up purchasing one during a next trip.

Happy Cooking everyone!

@ricabonell Keep us up to date on your cooking. Perhaps even share some unique Brazilian recipes.

Regarding the timing. I have a kitchen timer on my microwave and use that instead of trying to use the complicated method on the AVONA. Apart from the complications of the timer I love my AVONA.

I use a small necklace timer from Thermoworks. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/timers/timestick.html I tend to miss the one on the microwave if I am not close by.

Let us know how your meals turn out. Everyone is always looking for something new.

Hi, I’m Jim and I am about to purchase the Anova Precision Cooker. I thought I’d wait for the upcoming Labor Day Weekend to see if there are any coupons or sale prices before ordering. 

My wife and I were visiting my daughter and her fiancee and they prepared the most tender and delicious leg of lamb that I ever tasted. You guessed it, they used the Precision Cooker. Cooking it was beyond easy, it was fun! By the end of our dinner, I was hooked.

Welcome Jim. As far as I know there are no promotions currently running.