What was the first thing you cooked?

I cooked Babi chin - a recipe found on anova! Yet to try it!

1 Like

New Anova 900W Bluetooth/WiFi arrived. Within minutes had it set up in an All Clad 5 Qt. Stock Pot, and flawlessly connected to my Asus tablet, via WiFi. Used the app to locate an egg recipe, and controlled my first cook via the app on my tablet. First time out, thought I’d keep it simple and hard boil two eggs. 165F for 45 min. Worked perfectly, and eggs were exactly as described and pictured in recipe. Anova circulator, app and set up are very intuitive. Searzall arrives tomorrow, and I’ll try a 6 oz. beef filet. I have limited ventilation, so I’m counting on the Searzall. I may have to step outside to sear.

So far, I’m impressed with my new Anova.

1 Like

Glad you’re having a great cooking experience with your new Anova. :slight_smile:

My very first cook was Beef tenderloin steaks seasoned with salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic, cooked to a perfect medium rare and seared for 20 seconds a side at 850 degrees on a Kamado Joe Junior kamado. Unreal! No other words can describe some of the best Beef I had ever eaten.

1 Like

First was some skinless, boneless chicken thighs and I made some kind of lemon reduction sauce with the deglaze from searing. Was delicious, but next time (tonight!) I’ll use skin-on, bone-in and turn it up to “falling off the bone”.

Second was two Dutch “riblap” steaks, both of which looked beautiful, but were exceedingly chewy. That’s a pretty cheap cut of meat (lots of opinions on what it’s equivalent to, but likely from the top and middle-front of the cow), so it could have just needed a minimum of 24h, but who knows. I even threw the second one back in for another 6h and it was still super chewy.

Next up, after the chicken, Dutch Sukade steaks (flat iron steak) for minimum 24h. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like a perfect first cook @Bbqboss!

@tau ah yes try it out with the skin! It’ll give you a nice crackle post-sear (I’m a sucker for meats with fats!). :heart_eyes:

Tried it out with J. Kenji López-Alt’s recipe tonight and even managed to get crispy skin (sure, I made a kitchen mess, but that’s ok). Caramelised some shallots and garlic in a Bacardi and butter reduction (second one in and I feel like I’m not too bad at them) - delicious! :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds seriously amazing! @tau

I got my APC about a week ago, and the first thing(s) I ever cooked with it were 3 eggs, poached according to the recipe guide in the app. They turned out amazing! Since then, I’ve progressed to salmon, steaks, and pork!

1 Like

@kl005 Niceeeeeee!!! You’ve already cooked so many things in just a week! What were you most impressed with???

Certainly sounds like a future food nerd in the making. Congratulations and welcome to the club @kl005.

1 Like

I really liked the steak! My ability to get them to my desired doneness in a pan is somewhat questionable, so this is a real help. Not to mention I get to play with a blowtorch for searing :wink:

1 Like

My first cook was a chicken breast. Just to see if the thing was really worth the hype. (My husband had declared chicken breasts off-limits, as they always were either dry or under-cooked). Result? SUCCESS!! We now cook most everything sous vide, with a few exceptions. It is fun. Dinner is now like a science experiment, the hubs even likes getting involved!
Haven’t tried dessert yet, but that will happen soon…!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, can’t go wrong with sous vide chicken breasts. The results are always juicy and tender. So easy to get them perfect!

The first thing I cooked were sirloin steaks. They were so tender and juicy. Tastes so good!!! Since then I have cooked a pork shoulder, and bourbon glazed pork loin.

1 Like

Hi All! New user / first post. Got mine a few days ago and so far it’s fantastic! The app interface (Android) and the Alexa integration are really nice overall but could use a few tweaks for usability.

Anyway, my first cook, like many, was poached eggs (on toast with melted swiss and bacon. My fiance’ loved it (and she’s quite the egg critic). Pic attached.

Cooked many things since then… Pork tenderloin and creme brulet tonight!

-Dave

@DAR yay for a first successful cook! Do you remember what time and temp you cooked your eggs for?

I’ve had my Anova for a couple of days now and was able to cook my first meal with it today. I made a little surf and turf (strip steaks and salmon). Paired with green beans and potatoes.

I’m thinking of doing a pork tenderloin next time.

1 Like

Sounds like a good meal. How did you like it? Impressed with the results?