API / Developer SDK

Hi. I did search but haven’t seen anything recent about this. Was it ever released?

3 Likes

Hey! So I just talked with our software engineer, and unfortunately for the current device they are not going to made available, but fear not! He said that they will be in the future, just not in the immediate future.

Keep an eye out here, because it will most likely come up on community when they are released :slight_smile:

Let me know if I can answers any more questions!

What you are saying is the API/SDK will be released for a newer version of your sous-vide. And not be compatible with the current?

Yes. But there is no time table on the newer version unfortunately, I just know at some point it will be made available.

That’s unfortunate that the older versions won’t be compatible.

Well it will depend on a few factors, so there is a possibility they will be compatible, but I can’t really give you a definite yes or no at this point.

1 Like

Please consider publishing the existing APIs in a Beta or even unsupported form. It would be nice to throw together a little app for the Windows community. There’s what, 200+ million Win 10 devices available with PC, Phone and Xbox that a universal app could run on.

2 Likes

I will pass that request on! Most likely though, it won’t be available for a little while, when we make the other ones available.

1 Like

Pleeeeeease create a Windows 10 PC/Mobile app. You have so many customers that use Windows and we’d love you even more if there was an app for us. 98% of the desktop market is Windows. That means there is a very good chance that although some people might have an Android device and some other people have an iOS device, nearly all of them own a PC, and probably have Windows 10 on it. Let us cook while playing video games on our Xbox One! Seriously, front page of Gizmodo, TheVerge, Engadget, TechRepublic. Probably garnish 500 device sales in a single day with news like that.

4 Likes

The requests are noted! I will pass this on to the development team :slight_smile:

1 Like

Windows 10 apps:
I was told in july/august to expect a Windows 10 app “before christmas”. So I still am waiting for that one. And I can tell you that I’m really looking forward to it! :slight_smile:

API:
Please tell us why it should be difficult to release whatever you have at the moment, as it is very hard to understand. Why in the world wouldn’t you make the Anova sous vide device the best integrated device ever?

As I’ve said before:
You, as in “the Anova Company”, are trying to make a living out of selling sous vide devices, right? And that these devices are marketed as “smart”, Wifi connected sous vide devices? The economic goal is, of course, to make more money, as everybody else wants to do. Right? And ultimately, that means that you are trying to sell more devices… right?

For the sake of my argument we accept this as true, as other answers would be quite surprising. But if you have different answers please elaborate. So, given that:

Why are you holding on to your API like it was the location of the Holy Grail?

If I wrote a plugin for my home automation software (like I’m planning to do) that would let me control the Anova device from my home automation setup, my guess is that that would generate more sales, as I would publish it for others to use free of charge. The more your customers are happy, even if they are geeks like me (or perhaps ESPECIALLY if they are geeks like me), the more devices you sell.

People are getting more and more used to products that can talk to each other, either via IFTTT (for most people) or by using specialized software for specialized tasks (like home automation).

As long as you don’t sell the software, why wouldn’t you make the Anova Precision Cooker the most compatible (or rather “integrable”) sous vide device available?

I hope I didn’t offend you, as that wasn’t my intention at all. If I did, I apologize.

If this rumoured API is only compatible with newer Anova devices, I will have to get a new device. But it won’t be an Anova device… :frowning:
Last week my house won the title “Norway’s Smartest Home” which I am proud of. But I didn’t make it the smartest home by buying products that does not integrate.

Controlling anything over wifi doesn’t make it “smart”, only “remote accessable”.

Please send this upwards to the leaders until someone who’s making the decisions have answered. Thank you. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

None offense taken, I really wish there was more I could do, but I am just passing along information. Your house sounds absolutely spectacular.

I assure you I have passed this information along to out engineering team, and they are looking in how we can make integration easier. It will happen, I just don’t know when exactly that will be.

I will keep you updated!

2 Likes

This is usually part of the problem.

I’m not saying it’s the case here, but usually, and in my experience, there is a reason why companies have Community Managers and Support Managers, and that is to keep the individual users out of the Managements hair.

I have tried this before. :wink:
I’ve contacted support. I’ve written the same as I’ve written above. And I’ve been reminding the support team that I would like an answer, preferably from someone making decisions, and not just saying they have forwarded it. I do believe (and hope) my comments are forwared, but I don’t have the feeling it’s forwarded to someone that cares… :wink:

I do really like the Anova cooker! I think it is an awesome device, and it’s making cooking much easier.
But the lack of API (and perhaps Windows 10 app) is holding it back. I wholeheartedly believe that the winners of the IoT world, like the Anova Precision Cooker is a part of, will be the ones making quality hardware that is easy to integrate or write apps to.

I’ve written a plugin for an IoT coffee maker. And I’m sure that that plugin has generated more sales.

Great! We’ll be here, crossing our fingers. :wink:

Looking forward to it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One more vote in favor of an API release on the current model.
I’d love to get my hands on that.

4 Likes

Does this mean that my dream of using my Amazon Echo to control my Anova will never happen?

3 Likes

Not never, just not in the immediate future unfortunately :slight_frown:

1 Like

I’m not yet an Anova owner, and it’s specifically because I won’t buy it until their is a public API/SDK for it. I want to use it in my cheese making setup. I don’t care about cooking steaks and the like with it. I want it for the precise temperature control that is required in cheese making. Unfortunately, it lacks several convenient features like being able to script several timers and temperature changes to be run in sequence, or setting a new temp and indicating how long I want it to take to reach that temp (e.g. 1 degree every two minutes).

I’m constantly asking Anova owners if these features are present, and they have yet to see them. With an API/SDK, I could implement these myself, but instead Anova seems intent on me having to beg their (seemingly apathetic) developers for relatively simple features. This is not something I’m willing to do, and certainly not something I’m willing to pay for. I’m not going to buy a device that leaves me relying on vague promises that something might happen someday, especially when there are already indications that should it be provided, Anova intends to slap current owners in the face and only offer it on a new (and probably more expensive) model.

So consider me a lost sale. Not because the device doesn’t seem intriguing, but because Anova can’t be bothered to listen to it’s own community and potential customers such as myself. If Anova can’t provide what is being requested, someone else will, and you won’t even have a potential customer anymore.

3 Likes

People really should learn that asking for a feature is different to demanding one. I’d hate for someone to tell me how to run my business or how to develop a product I created. Self entitlement is not cool.

2 Likes

Hi! I understand your frustration, and using the anova to makes cheese is an amazing idea. I do wish I could be more concrete with a release date for this, but right now I cannot promise one, and don’t want to pretend I can.

I will say it is something we are planning on doing, we are not writing off these requests and try to incorporate as much feedback as possible into everything we do from the app to recipes.

I look forward to the day when you can make your cheese with it!

1 Like

I just got my first Anova Wifi and I have to agree with most people in this thread that having an open API would be a vast improvement for this platform.

The app (iOS) is not exactly what I would have expected from a smart device. It feels like a very basic remote control and not a smart device.
I understand the desire to keep things simple which would be fine if we had a chance to build apps ourselves.

I would have loved to integrate the Anova into my current home automation system. Target temperature reached? Flash my lights green. Set an alarm for tomorrow? Make sure the poached eggs are done 10 minutes later. Use a recipe all the time? Start it with 1 click from my kitchen iPad’s web interface.

Most manufacturers have seen the potential of opening up their platform, just look at the community that has built around the Philips Hue system. Being confined to the manufacturer’s app is very disappointing.

4 Likes