Stop the connection on app for the original Cooker in next year

I have supported your company since day one and purchased the original Anova Precision Cooker a long time ago. It has worked perfectly until today when I received a system message stating that my cooker will no longer connect to the app (via Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth) starting next year, as it will reach its 10th year in 2025.

I don’t understand the logic behind this. In most cases, “no longer supported” usually means no more updates or technical support, not that the device will stop functioning altogether. Could you please provide more details on this matter?

To other users, please be aware that this issue may also affect your Anova products.

7 Likes

I don’t see the reason why a Bluetooth connection would not continue to work. Everything else I have that is blue tooth will continue to work until the machines get old and die.

Learned the other day my HP printer was turned off by HP because I dropped my subscription to their ink service, the reason I stoped was I was shopping for a new printer and didn’t want another delivery of ink for an old printer- as soon as I realized what happened HP is no longer in the running for my new printer.

Anova sounds like it’s going to be taken off my recommendation list and not eligible to replace my current one.

3 Likes

I really hope they will reconsider this…
There is no explanation given on why they can’t just keep the Bluetooth and Wifi enabled.
It’s the main reason I went with ANOVA and recommended them to friends, but I will not be forced into buying another new product while mine is still working great. Especially when they can just discontinue that one again in 5 - 10 years…

Maybe someone can try to create a third party solution?

2 Likes

We have one pseudonymous report of deprecating ANOVA PC connectivity.

I live at the last mile, on an Island in Lake Michigan. No, not that one, a smaller one. My PC connectivity is a convenience but not apparently essential for operation. My cooker lives out in the scullery away from my wife’s - she doesn’t like new things - kitchen, I am pleased when my iPhone upstairs at my easychair tells me that all is well.

1 Like

Yes, this is so sad. Removing its basic functionality such as Bluetooth and Wifi is very bad. How can we expect Anova will support its better so-called newer devices? The original precision cooker was heavily marketed for its Bluetooth and Wifi functionality when it was launched. I actually question if it’s legal to do so, especially globally.

The original Anova Precision Cooker is a bit counter intuitive to control its timer on the device itself. Many users have been using the app just to set the timer. I don’t think Anova should remove this basic functionality.

It could be a desperate move for Anova to increase its sales. Existing users are offered a 50% discount to purchase a newer but very similar model for 50% off? However, this discount will be gone quickly. For me, this offer will end in 11 days 1 hours. Now, most users will certainly feel being ripped off and being pushed for a rush purchase.

For me, I would hold on to my original cooker and fingers crossed if Anova will continue to support its other products until Sep 28, 2025. That’s a doom day for the original precision cooker and probably Anova together. Besides there are many similar products on the market these days. Why would one still want to take risks with Anova?

2 Likes

I use the app to notify me when the desired temp has been reached so I don’t have to babysit the device and can leave the kitchen FYI the 50% discount is a fudge by Anova List Price of $199. Anova Store on Amazon current;y has version 3.0 for sale on Amazon for $129

1 Like

DO NOT BUY FROM ANOVA CULINARY!

Today I received this email from Anova Culinary. It states that they are going to eliminate the wifi and bluetooth functionality of a product they sold while touting that very functionality as a feature when they sold the product. Since the Anova Precision Cooker was introduced I have purchased two for myself and given 5 as gifts. Anova has now lost any trust I had in the company. I will never buy another product from this company.

WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP!

But hey they are giving me 12 days to purchase a new version at 50% off. What a deal- NOT.

1 Like

How to alienate your early customer base!! This will back fire! I certainly won’t be taking them up on the cr@ppy 50% discount on a new one. Why should I? there’s nothing wrong with my original one apart from Anova forcing its obsolescence. I certainly won’t be recommending Anova to anyone in the future and will go out of my way to make sure people know that their products have a shelf life. I’ve always been weary of any product which is either subscription base, or relies on external servers, and this is a prime example of proving my weariness justified.

@Anova - Suggest you rethink this decision before it’s too late!!

2 Likes

I have a few questions for @anovaculinary

1. For users who recently purchased the original cookers, can they refund?
  2. A lot of those original cookers are still being sold in Amazon and other retail channels, are the purchasers being informed that this basic functionality will be removed?
  3. Do we expect users leaving 1-star review on the App in Apple or Google app store given this app will no longer support their cookers?

Thank you.

I haven’t heard a reason for this loss of functionality, perhaps it’s due to an app update which no longer supports an older WiFi or Bluetooth standard? But, having connectivity to the app isn’t a big deal to me, I rarely use it to monitor temperature (I can hear the beep when it reaches its set point) or to set a timer. On the other hand, I recently pulled a loose piece of black plastic out of the slots and can now hear rattling inside when I shake it. Still works though.

1 Like

I worked in IT field in the past. I am quite sure they need extra works to disable the WIFI / Bluetooth function on these cooker. That’s why I think they are providing a very poor experience to their loyalty customers. From the posts, some others shared the same bad impression as he bought multiple cookers in the past.

I can’t describe how frustrating and disappointing this announcement is. I have an older model Anova cooker that I’ve taken meticulous care of, and as far as I know it’s working flawlessly. It’s been a good product that’s produced a lot of good food for me.

I understand that supporting products you no longer sell has a cost. But the announcement doesn’t say you’re simply discontinuing support for these products - it says you’re actively crippling their functionality. And you haven’t provided any concrete reasons for doing so or any suggestions for functional workarounds. This is extremely poor public relations and deserves some reconsideration.

I obviously know nothing about the inner workings of the app, your manufacturing processes, your company finances or culture - but I would think some or all of the following have to be viable options:

• At a bare minimum, explain to people that their cookers will still function normally through the use of manual controls. (If this isn’t possible, you’re in for a real PR debacle.)
  • If there’s code in the app that isn’t backward compatible with the older products, fork the code into Gen1 and Gen2 apps. You can even tell people that the Gen1 app will not be updated or enhanced - as long as the device continues to be controllable, most people will accept that.
  • Release the legacy product control APIs to the public domain. Someone on the internet will figure out how to talk to them and create an app that lets people continue use their cookers, and they’ll probably make a buck on it, too.
  • Ideally, simply retract the accouncement. Aver that you’ve taken the Anova user community’s feedback seriously, confess that ignoring your fairly loyal customer base was strategically insane, and promise that the app will continue to work as it always did.

I don’t expect the last bullet to happen, of course. I’m sure you have some senior product manager who’s made this arbitrary decision and is willing to fight the world tooth and nail because it was his or her decision to make “on behalf of the business”. In the current social and political climate, that kind of last-stand attitude is ubiquitous, and I’m sure that person thinks they’re being a tough-minded fist-on-the-table leader. I just hope they’re near retirement age, because when the court of public opinion is through with you, they won’t be able to buy another job with the word “Anova” on their resume.

3 Likes

Along with the others in this thread … I am shocked and appalled. @management, I will never buy another Anova product, nor recommend the company to anyone. This reprehensible behavior should not be rewarded.

It is a pity, the Anova precision has worked well. I used to talk it up to anyone who asked for my opinion about sous vide products.

Change course. Do it soon.

I wonder if we would still get connectivity if we did not update the app.

There are also plenty of people like me, who have broken jog dials and rely solely on the app for their device to function at all. This removal of basic functionality (literally the name of the product) should not be legal, and in many countries likely isn’t without a refund or replacement.

1 Like

hmm, sounds bad for sure. We had an oven for 3 years, stopped working correctly , only suggestion from support was to buy a new one (at a reduced price) but to me is waaaaaaaay to expensive to buy a new oven every 3 years (not to mention the needless waste of creating a replacement rather than fixing the existing one.) So we’re on a venture to see who else makes sous vide ovens (I think LG does but not enamored with that company either) Sad state of kitchen appliances these days overall.

What brand do people recommend switching to, since obviously Anova can’t be trusted and doesn’t want our business?

And has there been a class action suit started yet for the planned obsolescence? I know here in Canada these sort of practices are illegal.

1 Like

Saying my Precision cooker will no longer be supported by the app is simply a money grab from Anova. There is no technical reason why you cannot continue to support it and thus I will never buy an Anova product again.

I have recommended your product to several of my friends who bought and I will now actively discourage people from the Anova line when asked about immersion cooking.

You have lost a valued customer.

1 Like

I am waiting for a reply from Anova chat.

My concern with this in relation to original units is that the scroll wheel (for uk temp standard) operates in increments of "+ or - " 0.5c per scroll, for “proper” use, as heavily advertised, a precision, scientific instrument, means that the recipes which have the full scale 1/10th c all the way through the scale is now missing & that accuracy is massively reduced unless the last update gives full scale temperature control, rather than 0.5c blocks.
Akin to sticking ones finger in the mouth & then in the air to “very roughly” gauge if the wind is blowing or not.

Does this render our units not fit for purpose therefore?
When I heard Anova’s plans, I wondered if they had ever heard of “sonos” !?

I have 2 original scroll wheel anova’s, I don’t wish to hit roughly within half a degree c under or over.

1 Like

This was sad news - another company that choose to abandon its existing customers. And trying to appease us with a lame, fake, discount offer - seriously?

This was the push I needed to finally integrate my precision cooker in my home automation system (Home Assistant). Works fine and maintains all necessary functionality in the app. Good riddance!