Stop the connection on app for the original Cooker in next year

Besides the poor decision, it seems that no admin / CS review the comments from the community and no response from them for a while yet.

Anders Herbjornsen via Anova Community | Food Nerd Forum | Anova Culinary <notifications@anova.discoursemail.com> 於 2024年8月4日週日 下午8:56寫道:

Stupid user here: love my cooker for the past three years, and in response to the emails from Anova about abandoning my perfectly good unit’s connectivity and community, I decided wtf, newer must be better, even if it’s a money grab. So, I bought the 3.0, and aside from the annoying lack of easy connectivity to my phone (willing to accept I’m not doing it right…), when I use this supposedly better unit, it’s whine while maybe not technically louder, is certainly more annoying. I could run my original unit in our open space kitchen/living space and hardly know it was running. I’ve had to move the new “improved” unit to a back room, and we can still hear it from many rooms away. So aside from the issues of it not wanting to talk to my phone, the noise this one makes is unacceptable. Will be returning and running the old, retired unit without phone connectivity until I find another manufacturer who makes a unit that works as well as my original unit did. So sad to be part of the death of a seemingly good product… Wrong place to ask, I know, but anyone know of another mfg with a unit I should be looking at?

This is ridiculous. I love it as it is. Please do not deprecate the app. Please do not turn off wifi and Bluetooth. I love Anova, and have recommended it to many friends, at least 2 of which followed my recommendation and bought one.

If my app stops working in September, I will never recommend Anova again, in fact I will discourage any interest. I will definitely not upgrade a unit that is perfectly functional.

Please reconsider, and maintain your (until now) sterling reputation.

Ray Zemaitis
rzemaitis@gmail.com

Send it back, tell em why, vote with your feet.
If your old unit still works keep using it.

I sent a message via orange box messenger on the 2nd August, it remains unanswered.

“Shermie” is a complete waste of time dealing with, zero answers, zero updates, zero evident worth it seems.

So If you really want to kick up a stink folks, try raising the fact that with a scroll wheel, or any other disconnected unit in future, unless things change at ANOVA (Analysis of variance) …then anticipate only being able to dial in within units of 0.5c / 32.9 f presumably, which kind of defeats the so called scientific accuracy, the app, the end results potential of the product, unless you write with crayons & count with fingers & toes.

Anova are too silent on this matter, having asked & nothing but silence I think we are being flushed far down the thomas crapper.

Yes, I did send it back, did tell them why, and also bemoaned the seeming demise of what I had been thinking was a great little company making a great little product. Perhaps they’ve opened a niche for another manufacturer to fill.

I’m surmising this niche of well-built precision cooking tools is too small to consider continuing to support, and as evidenced by the market hype of the new Anova products and other sous vide cooker manufacturers. They’re targeting the world of folks seeking a faster, “TURBO” way of cooking. I

I own two cookers and have recommended Anova cookers to many people but I will not ever recommend Anova Cookers to anyone in the future nor will I purchase another Anova product in the future. I thought Anova was a reputable company but they have shown otherwise.

The last time I confronted forced obsolescence of a device I owned it was my multiple Sonos units. My response then was to replace those devices and to never buy or recommend another Sonos product. I will do the same here despite the discount on offer. Trust is important in business and, like Sonos, I no longer trust Anova to not screw me over again in the future.

1 Like

I couldn’t believe this until I came to this forum! Ive been using my Anova for years and its worked perfectly. Disabling Bluetooth and Wi-Fi effectively makes this device just like any other dumb Sous-vide machine. I bought this FOR ITS CONNECTIVITY!! This has got to be false advertising and illegal. If not, someone needs to consider a class action. If this was a safety issue, I might even say “well, okay. I don’t want to burn the house down with this thing”. But BLUETOOTH AND WIFI?? My watch has both. This is probably just a money grab because their older machines were actually made well and their extended lifespan is causing them to lose new product sales. Trust me, this is all about money. SAD.

This is the exact sort of ‘changing the terms of the sale, after the sale’ that makes people hate ‘smart’ appliances. I bought a product that does a thing. Now, a couple years later, it does less. Because the company that made it is making a money grab. I also see today that now the app is going to become a subscription. Because what company doesn’t want some of that sweet sweet recurring revenue?

Sorry folks, not everything is suitable to be a subscription. And changing the terms of the sale after you have my money? Get forked. You will never see another nickel from me. Can’t trust you.

1 Like

I have previous experience in the IT field, and I believe that additional steps are necessary to disable the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functions on these cookers. This oversight contributes to a subpar experience for loyal customers. Based on the comments I’ve seen, others have also expressed similar frustrations, noting that they’ve purchased multiple cookers in the past. winkans