Latest Anova "screw up" news AUG 2024, GRANDFATHERING & SUBSCRIPTION CHARGE

Looks like they are trying a different tack & a partial climb down…
Anova have not posted this here in the forum, so assume any discussion to take place on this thread lest it gets too disjointed on multiples…

READ THE UPDATE IN THE LINK FIRST PLEASE Update: Existing Users Grandfathered in; New Users will Pay a Small App Subscription Fee – Anova Culinary

2 Likes

Considering this does not mention anything about the older model being taken out of the loop / or carrying on after the clear & evident anger amongst users (esp reddit) without context older gen users must surely come to the conclusion that in 1 year the announcement is as what went before.

I’m waiting to hear from the people with ovens, barely functioning, crashing, never worked properly, dead after a few years units that will question the audacity of the company that will also end up likely charging for a janky oven app!

Also, would that be one sub or two that was needed for 2 items (SV stick & oven)?

Not sure my comment on the announcement was actually posted, but what an inane idea. I’ve been planning to replace my older circulator, and considering buying an oven once the firmware got a few more updates. Neither of those is going to happen now. Mostly just thankful that the chamber vacuum I bought last year doesn’t have an app in the first place.

1 Like

Oh but it does…

Right on their own support page: https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/27322197681165-The-Original-Anova-Precision-Cooker-Bluetooth-Bluetooth-WIFI-remote-connectivity-sunsetting

And I quote from the bottom of their own article

What will happen with my device?

After September 28th, 2025, your Original Anova Precision Cooker or Precision Cooker Bluetooth+WI-FI will see the following features removed:

Remote cooking via iOS or Android App
App Notifications
Status monitoring

PURPOSELY butchering everyone’s devices, without even considering simply allowing local-control when you’re at home via your own LAN connection.

If they are going to purposely butchering it, including Bluetooth (Bluetooth costs nothing for them to “maintain” as far as servers go if they want to go as far as saying that it’s costing them money for people to remotely control their sous vide… Then put out a firmware update or update the app to only allow remote control if you have their monthly ripoff subscription fee, but still allow Bluetooth. They could have easily allowed leaving theBluetooth functionality enabled so people could still use their phone at home to control it or get notified, but nope.

I think this is just a huge greedy moneygrab. Glad I have a Joule sous vide and not Anova.

I will NEVER buy or suggest Anova to anyone because of this kind of greedy corporate money grab.

1 Like

As an owner with an older precision cooker who found this (sorry) news today I am left wondering if the “grandfathering” applies only for existing purchases or also to new purchases by grandfathered owners. I’ve raised a support ticket and will update here, but if I buy a discounted new unit to have app support and then have to start paying a subscription the value proposition for any Anova appliance vanishes.

Comms on these changes have at best, show an amazing ineptitude.

Absolutely, there is no proper clarity on a variety of aspects surrounding this shedding of customers.

I asked on 2nd august & the crap show that Anova CS tends to be (errors & ignorance) means zero reply, asked them to self refer as form of complaint, “nothing”.

And this is how it has always been unless you get really lucky or speak to the actual manager not the minions, Anova is concerned about cash costs, well there is money to be saved by using proper technical CS not the 1 size fits all idiocy route they chose.

I don’t think that if the oft touted “scientific” instrument statement & “precision” dialling in of temps is what we bought into if the only variables we have are half a degree c in either direction
compared to being able to set within 1/10th c standard really qualifies now as the ability is literally now dialled in wide of the mark.

1 Like

I have received the following response to my enquiry from Customer Support. Still not sold on staying with an Anova product - would probably get a Joule if starting over except they’re unavailable from Breville in Australia :frowning:

Since you are grandfathered in you will have full access to the app upon purchasing the new cooker and you will not be asked to pay for the subscription fee.

I don’t see it as a money grab at all. Bluetooth IS evolving; we went from Bluetooth 4.2 back when I was playing with Bluetooth mice and keyboards to Bluetooth 5.30 for further distance and vastly improved music connection. Time moves on. And how many people pay more than ten bucks for a couple cups of StarBuck$ sludge every day, not to mention all the subscription TV channels people can’t seem to do without—$9.99 a year is nothing.

Gary I agree. $10 a year is reasonable. Small companies create a product and as time goes on costs go up. Amazon Prime started at $79 annually and now it’s $139. I love my Anova oven.

So you haven’t noticed that support ends making the older units limited temperature settings wise then?

An optical mouse comes with a removable bluetooth receiver widget, which could have been designed in & made interchangeable behind a silicone seal, I would have applauded them for trying something like that, so would a lot of people if it assisted longevity of the product, or even if they said from now on as well as the discount offered removable (upgradable) bluetooth usbs would be part of the design going forward, that would have been seen as acknowledging the difference between then & now & closing the gap for all incoming generations, not such a big deal, but we haven’t got anything like that.

The subscription works IF your anova is of a generation that it matches with, older gen folks connectivity is being dropped altogether.

Your reply only addresses half the problem sir!

Well, you can still use the cooker in manual mode. I never thought it was all that exciting to have to look up someone else’s recipe just so I could have the app do the oh, so tedious manual setting for me.

I’ve had my Precision Cooker for 8 years now. Manual mode isn’t really an option anymore as the dial is nearly useless, so I’m relegated to using the app to set temps and cook times. And for no apparent reason they’ve decided that my unit will no longer be supported in the app.

When the time comes that I can’t connect, I will try one of the competitors and hope they don’t feel like rendering their older devices obsolescent.

Have you tried spraying / dripping an electronics grade degreasant (also doubles up as hand sanitiser) Iso-propyl into it to get some response back from the scroll wheel?
Not general rubbing alcohol as that is lower grade, proper medical grade, printer head grade, etc would be fine though.

You never know.

I signed up on 16 Aug to be my grandfathered. I own three devices. Grandfathering didn’t work. I get prompted to pay for a subscription. What a screwup by Anova. Looks like my future devices will be Brevilles.