17lb whole prime strip loin roast cooking time please help

Has anyone sousvided a whole 16lb prime strip loin roast? Was planning on a 130F temp but have no idea for the cook time. Would 6hrs be enough time? I figure since it’s prime it’ll be tender anyway, just want to know the minimum time needed to cook. Thickness of roast would be 4-5inches top to bottom.

Thanks so much!

The basic rule of thumb is 30 min per half inch, so you’d be looking at a 5 or 6 hour minimum cook. At that length of time you want to be sure to be above 131F for safety reasons.

Last week I did a 4lb blade roast with the smallest dimension also in the 5-6 inch range and put it on just after lunch on Saturday for Sunday dinner. I ran that one at 135F and it came out nice and pink and juicy. We’ve decided we like it better than steak!

Eddy, sorry if this should be obvious but I’m interested in knowing if the 17lb whole prime strip loin roast was pork or beef? Also, would you please share your actual cooking experience for this roast:
Temperature setting –
Length of cook time –
Difficulties / “surprises” experienced –
Cool down process if any –
Sear technique if used–before sous vide cook, after cook & cool down, stove top in a pan, in the oven (temp?), on the grill, etc.?

Eddy / KyleMW,
I have a 9-lb rib roast that is approximately 5-inches from inside “point” of bone curve to outer fat layer (the fat layer is rather thin) which I think must be the correct way to measure it. I’ve done sous vide for lots of different things but never for a single roast of this size. I’m cooking it for Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and I want it to be Medium-ish done and nicely tender. I recently cooked chuck roast steak size portions at 134F for 20 hours. Some of it was tender but some of it was not. It seems to me as I read/research that cook times and temperature run the gamut from 124F for 20 hours to 140F for 6 hours. (KyleMW was the Sunday dinner around noon (20+ hours cooktime?) or 6 PMish (30+/- hours cooktime?)
Any guidance you can share will be very much appreciated.

That cook was in the 22 hour range. After supper (7pm’ish) to supper the next day (5:30-6pm’ish).

I seared it on the charcoal bbq, but left the briquettes in the starter chimney and used a small grate on top. That kept the heat concentrated and focused.

Kyle