A5 Wagyu Brisket, 3lb - cook temp and time?

I have purchased an A5 Wagyu 3lb brisket that I want to make in my sous vide. I’ve done regular brisket in the sous vide at 140 degrees for 48 hours and it turns out amazing! Would you say that cook time should change since it’s wagyu? I’ve read some articles that say just 2-3 hours, but that’s such a tremendous time difference than regular brisket. Anyone done this before?

Depending on personal preference, 140ºF is medium done. Beyond where I would cook Wagyu or indeed expensive beef.

I am learning sous vide cookery to improve palatability of cheap meat.

Time to temperature is entirely a function of the dimensions of the piece. A 4.5” spherical chunk of beef requires only 6 hours to desired core temperature.

48 hours is tolerated only for the marginal effect of excess time on quality, and conversely, the marginal effect of quality on required time and temperature.

Is the wagyu brisket marbled more so than regular brisket? You would still need temperature and time to break down connective tissue, so I would lean towards a longer time. But! You can recover from undercooking match more easily than overcooking. Try the 2-3 hours, then if you need more time you can still do it, just reseal (with the juices already expelled). For another take on sous vide brisket, I’d also look at Sous Vide Smoked Brisket Recipe.

Thank you for your reply! I’ll take a look at your article.

Thanks for the info - I’ll give that a shot

Presumably by the grade given this is pure-bred rather than a waygu cross breed herd product?

(over here in the uk nowadays the waygu strand of dna is being put down in all sorts of product in a mega premium appearance, a bit like hiding a morsel of the good stuff in amongst an offal stew, sad really & usually a burger at £3.99 :joy: )

When I consider how good a cheap steak cut can be (or a nice lamb chump) I think proper waygu would be wasted on me in terms of expectation versus delivery.

Good luck with it regardless, i’ll stick to my rump.