Air frying after sous vide?

Once our “meat” are done cooking in SV, meat implying steak, fish, or chicken, pork, lamb, etc… would airfrying be good option for crust/brown?

When you think about this consider that air fryers are essentially compact convection ovens. The moving air cooks the food quicker than a regular oven, however, it will continue to cook the product while it is convection baking. You would need to experiment to see how much the product’s internal temperature rises during baking. I do not think it is the best option. The only exception to this would be a large roast where it may brown before the inside is cooked much more.

1 Like

I’ve tried the airfryer, it works fine. Its just sort of an added step/mess.

My best solution is red hot pan, generous amount of cooking oil. Let it get super hot, then 30 secs a side or until it’s browned they way you want.

2 Likes

I’ve done the same with the APO – cook almost to temperature and then broil or “air-fry” to crisp up – but I am mostly guessing about at what temp to stop the cook so that it reaches roughly the right temperature in the crisping portion. I haven’t had an epic fail yet, but I also haven’t absolutely nailed it either. On the whole, I’m getting better at guessing, and would give my results a solid B-.

That said, I’m sure there are guides about how to calculate what happens to internal temps when you move from (in my case, virtual) sous-vide to a crisping stage that will have something to do with thickness of the meat, starting internal temperatures, and cooking time and temps in “air-fry” mode. And while I hate to keep invoking his name again and again, I wonder if @chatnoir has any thoughts about where we might look for such guidance…?

Hi Joe, let’s get you an A.
You’re using the right word, - move, when using your APO and don’t make the finishing stage too complicated.

When transitioning to a crisping or browning stage in the oven remove the subject item, adjust the oven temperature upwards as in very high. Can you attain 500F? Once there, replace the item, and in 5 minutes or less you will have crisped/browned the surface with little collateral damage.

Time required is mass dependant. Every oven is different, so you will have to learn as you go with different items. Keep a record. Underestimate times to begin.
Steaks, say about 2 1/2 minutes,
Family-sized roasts, 4 to 5 minutes.
Large standing 5-bone rib roast, no more than 10 minutes.
Ever!
Always place the meat on a wire rack set in a shallow rimmed sheet pan.
Aim to have the meat in the centre of the oven.

The APO’s glass door is there for a good reason, to monitor progress without opening the oven retarding progress. Please use it.

Happy cooking, and keep well.

2 Likes