APO: Can't get timer to work when setting manually though app works fine

I’m just trying to get the timer to work manually.

When I use the mobile app everything works as expected. Oven preheats and then starts a timed cook. The start button is BLUE while the timer counts down on the oven. I want to use the timer without the app. But when I set the temp and the timer and the oven comes up to heat (and keeps going!) and the timer never starts. And the button never turns blue. What am I doing wrong?

Not sure. But if the temp keeps climbing, I suspect the problem is the temp (or the way you’re setting it) rather than the timer. The timer (in most situations) only starts when temp is reached.

Couple of things to try:

• Put the oven in sous-vide mode set to 100 degrees. See if it gets there and holds (it will overshoot but stabilize)
  • Turn off the oven for a ten count, then turn it back on. Put the oven in non-sous-vide mode and set the temp to 115. See if it gets there and holds (it will overshoot but stabilize). If that works…
  • Turn off the oven for a ten count, then turn it back on. Put the oven in sous-vide mode set to 120 degrees. Set the timer to 2 minutes. If that works…
  • Turn off the oven for a ten count, then turn it back on. Put the oven in non-sous-vide mode set to 130 degrees. Set the timer to 2 minutes. If that works…

Let us know where it fails. And I’m sure Support will be here shortly…

I updated the firmware and unplugged/replugged the oven and it seems to be OK and working as expected though I need to understand the timer a bit more.

Thanks!

I’ve had my APO a little over five months now and in my experience, using the timer from the handle can be confusing and unpredictable. I know that Anova is working on firmware improvements to better sync the handle and app, but doing as much as possible from the app pretty much always gets better results and definitely provides more options. From the app, you can choose one of 3 options for the timer. You can set it to “start immediately,” “when preheated,” or “manually” depending on your preference. And you can select any of those options for different stages of your cook when you’re setting it all up using the app. When using the handle for your settings, it looks like the timer will always automatically start counting down when the preheat temperature is reached. Then if you need to make any changes, I would suggest doing it from the app. Hopefully future firmware updates will continue to address the glitches that have been identified, but I believe the app will always be the preferred method for operating the oven.