Bad chicken

Did 4 bone in breasts last night and they were horrible not even edible very tough rubbery texture did all 4, 2 in each bag at 140 for 2hr.
I did put some butter in each one of the bags with seasoning and fresh herbs I am wondering if that may have ruined them? Should no liquid or butter not be added for chicken?

Or I just got very poor quality chicken from the store.

This is an odd one. You did everything right. Adding some fat is normally a good thing with chicken. Try again perhaps boneless.

I once bought 6 chicken breasts and none were very good no matter how I cooked them. So it was chicken salad or soup. It seems odd as they had to be from different chickens and it was a trusted brand.

1 Like

I like boneless chicken breast and often make it along with salad or vegetables for lunch. They have always turned out great.

I am at a loss why chicken would not be good. The texture is definately different but I never have had it rubbery.

1 Like

> @john.jcb said: > I like boneless chicken breast and often make it along with salad or vegetables for lunch. They have always turned out great.

I am at a loss why chicken would not be good. The texture is definately different but I never have had it rubbery.

I am at a loss as well. This was a fair size bag and was very chewy. I had no better luck poaching or sautéing either. It can happen. Maybe I should have made chicken Kiev.

Maybe it was a chicken more suited for stewing. I remember growing up eating really old chickens and I think they are best suited for stock. I don’t recall seeing these in stores anymore. Mutton is another thing you never see only lamb which is young.

1 Like

> @john.jcb said: > Maybe it was a chicken more suited for stewing. I remember growing up eating really old chickens and I think they are best suited for stock. I don't recall seeing these in stores anymore. Mutton is another thing you never see only lamb which is young.

Pretty sure not for me. These were a well know Canadian brand and individually frozen breasts. Stewing hens are always labeled hens in my experience.
Not that it matters :) just saying bad chicken can happen.

1 Like

I know not everyone will like this idea, but you should consider buying a whole chicken and learning how to break it down yourself. You save a heap of money, it’s almost impossible for a retailer to fob you off with poor quality (which can be easily disguised with prepackaged pieces like thighs and breasts), plus you can freeze the carcass and unwanted meat until you have enough, bung it in a pressure cooker, and make your own stock! 

But yes, I’ve made literally hundreds of boneless chicken breasts in the Anova in the last few years, and not once has one been dodgy. 62.5c for 90 minutes, perfection. So tender you can cut them with the blunt edge of a butter knife. 
3 Likes