Beef Tri Tip Roast Medium Rare

I settled on 130F after seeing a wide array of temps. We put the 1.5 lb Tri Tip in the bag with smoky spicy paprika, Kosher salt, Olive oil and black pepper. Let it cook Sous Vide for 4 hours and then let it rest for 20 minutes before opening package. Hot reverse sear in the ole black iron skillet with a dollop of Ghee. Spooned the Ghee liquid over the meat constantly, about 2 minutes per side. Sliced and then added the liquid from the package to the skillet and made pan Au Jus. Delicious with mashed potatoes and pan Au Jus.

I seem to recall 131F as the minimum for killing pathogens, so that’s what I use. We like it pretty much cut-with-a-fork tender, so,
16 hours.

I doubt 130F vs 131F makes any difference. Especially with the temp variation during cooking, you are talking about less than one degree.

NO! this is dangerous and will kill you.

e Coli, listeria and salmonella are in their ideal growth range at 90F. Holding them there will poison someone.

1 Like

If this were true, a person could almost never get sick, except for viruses and intoxicants. 91°F for 16 hours will give you nothing but a temperature range suitable for most bacteria commonly associated with food, pathogenic or not.

1 Like

Sorry, you’re exactly right, and that was a knee jerk statement. Why would someone cook something to 90 degrees :slight_smile: I’ve adjusted my post. I don’t want anyone to get sick. Safe advice is 140f.
The point I really hoped to make was that as time goes up the temperature needed to leave food safe (in most normal situations) goes down.

Better, but not really helping.

It’s very common in sous vide to say 130F is the safe place to start for long cooking. You can cook things like seafood lower because you are doing it for a short period of time and not holding. You stay within your 4 hour window.

Key is to fully understand the food safety temp window and understand how you are handling your food. The posts ahead of you were more or less correct.