Best. Turkey. EVER.

After a lot of research, and the replies from this forum to my question (Thanks!).
I butchered the turkey, seperated into quarters, breast was deboned. lightly seared the skin, and placed into seperate bags with fresh sage and thyme. They went into the fridge. This I did on Tuesday morning, I roasted the carcass, wings, back and carrots, celery and onion halves for turkey bone broth, which I also made on Tuesday.
At 4:30 pm, Wednesday I Set the Avona to 150F, when to temp, I put the legs in, made sure they were covered with the bath, lid went on and covered in foil.
Turkey Day: 4:30am, reduced the temp to 135, and put the breasts in, once again made sure everything was covered with the bath. At 10:00am, I rearranged the bags because I didn’t have a rack, and wanted to make sure they would evenly cook. Later I began preparing my sides, (cranberry orange relish and pumpkin pie muffins were made on Wednesday). roasted garlic cauli mash, fresh bread stuffing, and gravy from the bone broth.
4:30 the bags came out of the bath, dried the one breast and thigh quarter with paper towels, removed the herbs so they wouldn’t burn when I seared them with a Searzall.
Carved both pieces of bird and served with the sides.
There was just the two of us, Den and me. We each took a bite of the much anticipated bird, looked at each other and smiled. Oh my gosh! So tender, so juicy. Each bite was better than the last! At last! a perfectly cooked turkey! _ wrote this the on Friday, we had turkey sandwiches, and Den declared that it was the best turkey sandwich he’s ever had!
Now to decide what to do with the leftovers…
Have a great Thanksgiving weekend!_

2 Likes

Congratulation Jen your careful planning and attention to detail resulted in your success. Capture that cook in your journal so next Thanksgiving will be just as delicious and so much easier. Nice sides too.

Have you ever made a Turkey Tetrazzini casserole? I make it New Orleans style with onion, bell peppers, celery, mushrooms, cream, turkey stock and turkey. Traditionally it’s made with spaghetti but i prefer penne or rotini pasta. Topped with Parmesan and baked until bubbly and golden brown it never fails to delight guests. It can be made for 2 or 20.

Congrats and good planning!

I also like to do Turkey Tetrazzini with the leftovers, but my grandfather’s recipe uses macaroni and canned mushrooms with a Béchamel sauce seasoned with chicken bouillon, nutmeg, salt, pepper and bit of Kitchen Bouquet (a browning sauce) and topped with parmesan cheese.

Steve, your Grandfather is a creative cook.

Mine is an approximation of the one i had at K-Paul’s in New Orleans when Chef Paul Prudhomme was still at the helm there, not at all like the San Franciso original. Of course his was the ultimate Tettrazzini, but he did things like cook his pasta in turkey stock and added the aromatics in 3 stages to get complex levels of flavour. Who does that anymore?

And it sounds delicious. :yum:

Steve, it is delicious.

Chef Paul’s cooking was rustic, elegantly complex, and superb all at once. Being the youngest of 13 children he learned to cook with his mother.

Few people know that Emeril was his protégé and Sous Chef at Commander’s Palace for several years before Chef Paul left to open K-Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen. His favourite saying was, “Good cooking, good eating, good loving.”

Glad to read this turned out so well for you! A shining example of proper planning yielding superior results!

Thank you so much, Mirozen!

chatnoir and stevej, thanks, guys! I appreciate the positive feedback! And, yes, I’ve heard of turkey tettrazini, I plan on making some, using spiralized zucchini in place of the pasta. Trying to cut out carbs where we can, without sacrificing flavor. Hope y’all had a great Thanksgiving!
I want to cook a standing rib roast for Christmas, since it’s Den and me, I figured a 3 rib roast would work out well, with leftovers. I’ll start doing my homework soon, and figure out temp and time.
Cheers!