changed my mind for Christmas dinner....

I decided, instead of a pricey standing rib roast. I am going to serve a chuck roast cooked SV.
I will be going to the store tomorrow, and hope to talk to the butcher about getting a chuck roast from the area close to where the prime rib comes from. I will trim and truss the roast myself. I got the idea from a serious eats page. Since I have SV cooked chuck roasts with great results, I’m more comfortable going this route! For sides, I plan on roasted garlic mashed potatoes and pan roasted brussel sprouts. Oh! And of course an au jus using the juices that will collect in the cooking bag.
I would like to thank everyone who commented on my post on cooking a prime rib, all of your imput is always appreciated!
To everyone I wish a wonderful holiday season with delicious cooks!

1 Like

Let us know how it turns out. It should be great.

I will! I have the roasts in the water bath now, at 133F. After I trimmed the roast, it ended up becoming two smaller roasts that I trussed. They got salt pepper and garlic powder before I pre-seared them and bagged them up.
There’s beef bones, carrot celery onions and garlic in my oven right now, for the bone broth that I’ll make today. I use an Instant Pot to make the broth, it only takes four hours. Then fridge the broth overnight to let the fat rise.
I’m so excited for this meal! lol

How did the chuck roast turn out? My first sous vide experiment was with a gristly chuck roast that I’d bought in a moment of thrift. I used a borrowed Anova sous vide circulator. The result was a roast so amazingly tender that I bought my own Anova and now use it for almost all meat and chicken cooking.

@john.jcb and @Fillmoe
The roast turned out perfect!
It was medium rare and so tender my Hubs couldn’t believe it was a chuck roast lol
My fail was the bone broth, I can’t really figure out what happened, I used my usual method for preparing the broth, and I can’t describe the taste, it was just “weird”. So I went to the store and got a jug of beef bone broth that I jazzed up with some carrots and celery and onions, sauteed those added the broth and let it simmer for an hour, strained out the veggies and added a splash of vermouth. So the aujus was saved! lol
Anytime I want a steak, and I have the time, I’ll just make a lowly chuck roast.
I also do all my chicken cooking with my Anova, Fillmoe. I haven’t tried it yet, but I plan on trying a chicken parm by cooking the chicken SV, and then transferring the chicken and marinara, cheese, into the oven to get the cheese melty. If you like carrots, they are fantastic cooked SV. So are the butter poached baby gold potatoes. I’m not sure if I found those recipes in the Anova site, or on the web. When I first got my Anova, I looked at LOTS of recipes for everything, lol.
Happy New Year!

Thanks, and Happy New Year to you also. I will try the vegetables, which I’d sort of ignored, because I love to roast vegetables.

Hi @jen2

This is a wild a$$ guess, so it would be nice if someone else were to chime in…

Usually when you cook a roast the meat from which you are getting your broth has been browned during its cook. Unless you did a “pre-sear” prior to bagging your roast up for sous vide I think the flavor of the juices out of the bag will differ as they will lack the flavors derived from the Maillard reaction, so you’ll be working with a baseline broth which has a different flavor than you’re used to. (This is just my shot at what I think you may be experiencing.)

Anybody else want to chime in?

However, the bones and accompaniments were oven roasted separately, if I am reading your posts correctly @jen2
Did you find the bag juices different, or were the roasted elements different, or could you not tell as they were mixed, stored and then tasted on reheating?

Did you add the sous vide purge to your bone broth? Was it clarified first or not? The cooking purge is pure essence of meat but needs simmering ti coagulate proteins for removal.

Also, were the bones roasted to get some Maillard goodness going?

@Mirozen @miksnave @Ember
Let’s see… I did a pre-sear on the roast before bagging it up. I did roast my bones and veggies for the bone broth seperately, and cooked it in my Instant Pot after browning. I then refridgerated the strained broth overnight to render the fat. Nothing else was added at this point, the roast was still cooking in the water bath. It was when I warmed up the broth to reduce it that I tasted it and noticed the odd flavor. I even had my Hubs taste it and he agreed the broth tasted weird.
I can’t really recall if I used the liquid in the bag in my store bought bone broth, I don’t think I did, afraid of another misshap possibly…and it would have, if I had added the juices, since I didn’t know about “clarifying” the juices first.
Thank y’all for replying, I appreciate it! I think my bone broth fail was a fluke, as I had made it before and the broths always turned out fine. I was trying to think back on it, and I believe that the addition of some thyme to the IP when putting the ingredients in for the bone broth may have caused the odd flavor.

Thyme is one of my favourite herbs. I use it in almost every slowcook, braise and cure I do. But if you don’t usually add herbs to your broth, then that is likely to be the cause of the unexpected flavour.

While reading your post, I got hungry. Christmas is my favorite holiday of the year, as my children adore it and are always as happy as possible waiting for it to come. Usually, my wife and I also prepare various unusual dishes to diversify the holiday from year to year. But what remains unchanged is the decoration of the house with the family. I usually use different techniques and life hacks. This year I found guys from https://trimthatweed.com/how-to-hang-christmas-lights-inside/, who explained everything reasonably in their article. I hope you will make your holiday unforgettable as you plan. I hope you will have a great holiday and have a good rest.