Cooking multiple pieces first and second cut briskets

I’m planning to cook five pieces of brisket average weight from 1.77 to 2.8 pounds. The one and three-quarter pound is a first cut and the other four are second cuts, can I cook them all at the same time if my container is big enough? what special instructions should I follow?

I plan to cook them all ahead of time and keep them in the fridge and then put them on My Weber kettle and smoke them as recommended for three hours at 300 after taking them out of the refrigeratorOn the day I’m going to serve them

Richard, from your description you are working with about half a packer brisket. Right?
Flat or point?
Or some of each?

And yes, you can cook them all at the same time.

If you want accurate special instructions, the weights of those pieces don’t matter, just how were they cut? Are they all about the same thickness? Please get a ruler and measure the greatest thickness of each pice because that determines how heat will defuse through the meat.

You don’t reveal what you intend the result of your two cooks to be for those 5 chunks of meat. I’d go back to whoever recommended the 3 hour post cook smoking and ask about the outcome. I can’t imagine it being very pleasant.

Once you disclose what you think you will be serving, and maybe how, the Community here can provide seasoned guidance.

Richard, if you get back to us with some useful details we’ll get back to you.

It’s only struck the cat recently that most of what he was taught about cooking meat conventionally was wrong. Telling someone to cook something for 12 minutes per pound at temperature x can’t be correct because it infers that cooking times are proportional to weight. Can’t be. And definitely isn’t when SV cooking.

So basically I’ve got five pieces of brisket. One 1st cut, the flat, is 1 inch at the thinnest and an 11/2 inch at it’s thickest part and it’s very lean.
4 pieces of the point, 2nd cut, are currently In the Cryovac they came in, and it looks like there are approximately 2 to 21/2 inches or so.

My questions: When I repackage them in a vacuum sealed bag, can I combine two pieces of the point in the same bag touching each other horizontally, as though they were one piece?

As far as the Flat goes, should I cook that a lower temperature so that it comes out Moister? I believe I’m planning to make that sweet-and-sour brisket.

I want to get some crust on them after they’re cooked and I’m going to add liquid smoke to the bags.

Once I remove the points from the sous vide, I will separate into four pieces prior to The next stage either in the oven or on the smoker, most likely the oven.

This may seem dumb, but what will the internal temperature be of both types when I remove them from the sous vide and how Do I gauge how long to keep them in the oven or on the grill,

Usually the goal when smoking a brisket is to have it done around 190°. Then take it out wrap it in foil along with some liquid let it rise to 205 on its own away from the heat.
I’m planning on cooking them ahead of time in the sous vide and holding them in the refrigerator in the bags until Sunday. Dan, do the next step in the cooking process.

I’ve been cooking for a long time but sous vide is all new to me. I’d like to find a way to do all these calculations myself.

As an aside, well the addition of liquid ingredients seasoning etc. help the flat from being dry?

I neglected to say that the points came packed two to a bag.

Richard, you picked what is in my experience two of the most challenging cuts of meat to cook competently. Employing several cooking techniques compounds your challenges. Since you have previously cooked brisket, rely on your experience.

With the details you provide we can give you some accurate SV cooking information, thank you.

When repackaging, match pieces of meat with about the same thickness in a bag. And yes, align them together, don’t stack because that doubles their thickness and adds considerably to their cooking time. I learned to cook using larger pieces and whole briskets and i still find i get better results with them than small cuts with too many surfaces that become dry in secondary cooks.

As for that flat, you cook it separately or with the points unless you want distinctively different products of your cook. I’d cook them at a low temperature but for at least a day to tenderize it, about 140F suits me. The higher the temperature you cook at the greater the amount of moisture the meat gives up as it becomes more tender over time, up to about 3 days. Pull the flat at half time because it’s significantly thinner than the others and it’s likely getting more moist cooking.

Your 2-part question:
Part A. You need to think about how SV cooking transfers heat to meat over the cooking time. Please think about this, it’s important you understand the following:
Given sufficient cooking time based on meat thickness the internal temperature of any item will be at or very close to the water bath temperature. It can’t be higher as there no other source of heat than the water being heated by your Anova at its set point. Meat temperature can’t be lower as there will be temperature equilibrium throughout the cooking vessel as long as Anova is functioning at its set point.
Please read it again.
Got it?
The terminal internal temperature of anything you cook will be at the temperature you selected. Never higher, nor lower.

Part B. You want to know how long to post-cook in an oven or on the grill, most likely the oven.
That would be better. as you have greater control.

Saying, “some crust” isn’t helpful, but i’ll leave how much up to your experience and good judgement. I feel like asking how much damage you intend to inflict on your cooked meat, but i won’t. Do you have a convection oven? If so use it at 275F for a couple of hours after applying your rub. Take a quick peek after an hour, and then every half hour, to judge how the some crust is developing. The longer you post-cook the crustier your result.

Bonus question: about . . “liquid ingredients seasonings, etc. help fat from being dry?” The fat won’t melt much in SV cooking so it cannot become dry. In the oven it will crisp as the bark forms. As the seasoning rub darkens in the oven it absorbs more heat which drys it ever quicker.
Remember those peeks? You be the judge, but please don’t over do it.
Cooking is always a matter of balancing competing outcomes and you are the judge when you’re cooking for yourself.