Cooking Sous Vide in Glass

I tried an experiment where I part filled a glass bowl with water (a) and rested that in a sous vide container (b) so it was open at the top.
I put a thermometer in (a) to measure what temperature was raised within the bowl floating on (b) with a view to cooking a meatloaf, if successful.
Unfortunately the glass bowl (a) was such a good insulator that the water contained did not increase at all over 8 hours, far too long to have the meatloaf at room temperature.
Yet I have successfully made egg bites in mason jars submerged in a sous vide.

Gentle Community members, remember the SV cooking technique depends on heated water’s contact with food. Water has a significantly greater efficiency of heat transfer than air. That’s the reason cooking in a conventional oven has to be at relatively high temperatures.

Cooking in an open glass bowl has less to do with any insulating value of glass than the surrounding air temperature over the bowl. Heat migrates into the air.

Hi, have you find a solution for glass jars? I’m using the Weck jars for fish and shrimps (60° C 2 H), but I would like to try other items, like poultry. I was thinking about chicken bites + curry + coconut milk. Any suggestions?

Hi @ross1

I think the comment above by @chatnoir pretty much sums up the issue. It’s thermodynamics. If you use lids on your glass containers and submerge them you’ve resolved the issue. (Case in point…sous vide creme brulee, one of my favorites! :slight_smile: )

I’d never considered a curry mix! Be sure to post how it turns out if you give it a try!

I’ve cooked chicken breast in the Weck tulip jar, sealed with rings and clamps. Easy, yummy and plastic free.

2 hours / 65°C (149° F)
I’ve simply tried doubling the time.

chicken bites (3x3 cm)
fried onions
coconut milk mixed curry and curcuma powder
salt / parsley / lime juice

a bed of whole basmati rice (already boiled for 5 minutes)

1 Like