Cooking with beer

has anyone put beer in with the ribs for 48 hours? I don’t know what will happen!

1 Like

@susalita Yummm, sounds delicious! Beer works well as an addition to your marinade and it can be added to the recipe you are cooking. Here’s a great recipe to show you how to cook sous vide using beer: Sous Vide Beer-Braised Sausages and Kale

I remember reading something about using alcohol in sous-vide… May be something to keep in mind…Found it on the Sous Vide Supreme official site…

“Can I season just as I do for traditional cooking methods?
Because the temperatures of some sous vide cooked dishes are low, certain raw seasonings may not develop flavors in the same way they do at higher temperatures. A good example is raw garlic, which may remain raw at temperatures used to cook medium rare steak, fish, shellfish, or even chicken breast. Thus garlic, added to the sous vide cooking pouch, works better as a powdered spice or already sautéed or roasted.
Another example is alcohol in wine, beer, liqueurs, or distilled spirits. Though often added to marinades for meats, fish, seafood, or poultry, or used to flavor sauces, the alcohol in beer, wine, liqueurs, or distilled spirits will not evaporate in sous vide cooking as it does on the stovetop or in the oven and can develop a harsh, sometimes metallic flavor. If you wish to use alcohol-based liquids to flavor food to be cooked sous vide, heat the wine or spirits first to evaporate the alcohol, then marinate the food, then pour off the marinade and pat the food dry and reseal prior to cooking.”

@saluki Yes, you’re right, exactly! As illustrated in the Sous Vide Beer-Braised Sausages and Kale recipe, the beer is heated at a simmer for several minutes. This helps reduce the alcohol as there is no evaporation that occurs during cooking because of to the vacuum seal. Another way of doing this is to marinate the meat, then wipe it off before placing it in the bag. I’ve actually used beer without doing either, although the one I used was lower in alcohol content so it wasn’t as overpowering as a more full-bodied, hoppy beer would be. What are you planning on cooking?

From The Food Lab's Definitive Sous Vide Sausage Guide – Anova Culinary

" The problem is that even though beer has a few flavorful compounds, it is mostly water, which means that it ends up drawing salt and other compounds out of the sausages as they cook. Try and cook a sausage and beer and instead of adding beer flavor to the sausage, you really wind up adding sausage flavor to the beer."

The solution was to heavily salt the beer. I heat it up to dissolve the salt and cook off the alcohol. It makes sense to me and that’s how I cook sous vide with beer.

I have a great recipe for beer & SV.

1. Open beer.
  2. Pour into glass
  3. Put pouch containing steak, sausages or whatever into your SV meat Jacuzzi
  4. Drink beer .
  5. When food is done, sear, serve and repeat steps 1, 2 & 4 as necessary.