Foam tape seal for temp probe?

Has anybody here tried something like this?
https://smile.amazon.com/J-B-Prince-U839-TAPE-Adhesive/dp/B00817D93Y/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?crid=SINM4JUBRULR&keywords=sous+vide+foam+tape&qid=1554660377&s=gateway&sprefix=sous+vide+foa%2Caps%2C254&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

Apparently you can apply it to your bag before you begin cooking and it will maintain a seal after you’ve punctured the bag with a temp probe later in the process.

I’m interested because I am planning to do some boston butts and would like to know when I’ve reached internal temp and not go a lot longer than I need. Particularly looking for a chop like end product and not a pulled pork texture.

Thanks

Nope. Not tried. Temperature will tell you that you’ve achieved temperature equilibrium, but that’s all it will tell you.

I don’t see the upside to using this. Furthermore, if you read any of the reviews, several mention how their bags sprang leaks because of the tape and water got into the bags. There are many sources that will provide the correct time for cooking in sous vide with meat thickness being the determining factor.

You don’t need it. Waste of money. There are charts that will tell you how long heat will take to penetrate meat of any thickness. That’s all such a probe will tell you, when your product achieves thermal equilibrium.

CM, during the early days of SV cooking back in the last century in Europe food was often cooked in water baths at higher temperatures than the internal temperature targets.

Closed-cell tape permitted continuous temperature monitoring so the desired internal temperature would be the pull points. Over time it became obvious that there were significant benefits to be gained from cooking at lower temperatures and for longer times. Cooks realized just achieving the target internal temperatures didn’t result in optimum outcomes for tougher cuts of meat.

As you don’t reveal how well you like your pork chops done and how tender it’s difficult to give you any specific time, and of course your cooking time will also vary with thickness.

Why not use your regular pork chop temperature and cook long enough by feel to keep from going too long? Knowing the internal temperature won’t be of much value.

I don’t mind a little pink in my pig and serve it sliced when i cook a typical Butt at 145F for 16 hours. The result is tender and moist, but still requiring some chewing. The longer you cook the more tender it will be.

Happy cooking.

1 Like

In BBQ I take the Butt to over 200 internal but for sliced Pork I only take it to 170. SV at 165 for pulled but 145 for sliced Pork. Timing is 18 to 24 hours. I’ve done a 10 lb. Boston Butt for pulled Pork SV for 20 hours and it was great. Unless you have a huge piece of meat I would lean towards the low end of the range.

BBQ to 205 internal or SV at 165 gives you great pulled Pork. BBQ to 170 or SV t 145 should give you what you’re looking for. I used Serious Eats for my guidelines when I did mine. Here’s the link.

You can cook for pulled pork at temperatures below 165F, it simply takes longer.

It is not the temperature that determines the final texture but the time for which the product remains at tempearture.

this is very important tool for Delta T sous vide cooking…
not only it can reduce the overall time by increasing the water temperature higher than the targeted internal temperature, but also it can achieve some cooking effect that no other method can!
one very quick example: chinese boiled chicken… it requires close to boiling temperature outside for achieving well cooked skin, but keep the internal meat temperature at a low 155F.