Pork tenderloins in the vacuum bag from store

Wondering if the vacuum packed meats can be sous vide in their original plastic wraps. I typically see pork tenderloins coming this way but also see strip steaks being packaged.

1 Like

There are a lot of different types of vacuum packaging film out there. Some may not be heat resistant. Not sure I’d want to use things just as they came from the store. If the items have been in the pack for a while there is usually some seep of fluid from the meat. Those that don’t show any seep are often packed with absorbent pads which may contain things that could have an adverse reaction to heat.

1 Like

If you do try it make sure you remove any paper labels. I learned the hard way with a package my butcher vacuum sealed. Other than bits of adhesive paper sticking to everything iit worked great on a hanger steak I cooked. He uses a higher quality bag than you normally see in stores but I don’t know if I would try lon cooks in it. I was also cooking my steak medium rare so it was not all that hot. Pork is a little higher.

1 Like

Thanks, you were correct that there was a pad in the strip steak one but the pork tenderloins prepackaged by Hormel don’t seem to have one. The bag does seem pretty tough though.

I did use the Hormel pork tenderloin right from the store. It worked great no issues. I did peel off the stick on label. The Hormel ones come premarinated so that saves a bunch of time. Just into the sear at the end

Hey @StuL My wife and I just got one of those, (Hormel Always Tender Mesquite Barbeque Pork Loin Fillet), 24 oz., for my 2nd try at sous vide. What temp and time did you use, if you can remember?

Thanks;
Artie

1 Like

I use 147.5 for 2 hours. Then pat really dry and sear on grill. A lot of people on this site and on the facebook group don’t like the idea of using the bag it came in, but I’m still alive! Good luck. Stu

1 Like

Thanks @StuL. I started to peel the labels off, then realized it was more trouble than just transfering them to a vacuum bag. :smile:

1 Like

Yes sometimes it is worth just taking the time to re-bag!

For what it’s worth original plastic wraps and packaging can sometimes have really tiny holes and perforations that can be tricky to see. They are sometimes sustained somewhere between the place the food was packaged and the supermarket fridges themselves (via boxing, handling etc). You only realize the holes are there once you are already some time into your sous vide cook when juices are flowing in to your water bath!

But I have no doubt that some butchers would take more care with their packaging than major supermarket chains for example…

I once tried corned beef in its original packaging and near the end of the 12 hours the seal failed. It turned out OK but if had failed earlier it would have been a real mess.

1 Like

Agree that it’s safer to re bag.

2 Likes

I’m going to cook one of these in the bag, but to eliminate label and “tiny holes” problems, I’m going to chamber0vacuum seal the intact Hormel package in another bag before cooking. This will avoid hassles with the marinade that would be encountered in transferring the meat into another bag.

Just finished a meal of Hormel Pork Loin Filet Lemon-Garlic, 147.5º, 2 hours, seared on the propane BBQ grille. Put the original packaging inside another plastic bag and sealed it in our chamber vacuum unit. Served with sautéed turnip greens/garlic slivers and baked potato. Superb!

Only thing different next time will be to use a torch to get a better sear.