Hot water treating daffodil bulbs

Has anyone else purchased and used the unit for treating daffodil bulbs? 112 degrees F. for 3 hours should take care of nematodes, bulb flies, etc. For this purpose I was given a small fine-net drawstring bag (like jewelry might come in) to go over the unit so that dirt from the bulbs won’t get inside the unit. I used a rubber band to hold it in place. I added some bleach to the water and put the net bags of bulbs directly into the water bath (not in any plastic bags).

1 Like

Very interesting outside-the-box thinking. Good for you.

1 Like

Why not place them in jars filled with water and then place the jars in the water bath? That way the dirty water in the jar won’t mix with the bath water and your PC stays clean.

I was hesitant to place them in a jar or a sealed bag because the bulbs need to be heated all the way through and I thought I would not be able to predict the time needed as well. This way cleans the bulbs as well ;-> and with the filter bag over the unit, I hope it will be OK. I don’t plan to use it for food anyway, just bulbs.

Plant time is different from human time. The time may not matter too much as long as it meets the minimum. I don’t knos about daffodils, but I know tulips need at least two weeks of cold, and longer is better.

1 Like

No but I Will Now! :smiley: Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like