jackfruit

Has anyone tried cooking jackfruit with their sous vide?
Jackfruit is a great meat substitute and it seems like it would benefit with the slow cooking provided by sous vide.
Anyone?

1 Like

Sorry, not I.

Why not do our Community a service and test it? Our children and grandchildren are going to be eating a lot of it.

It can withstand high heat and a long cook, my neighbour cooks it in chunks in her pressure cooker for curry.

I imagine a time and temperature for something similar like kohlrabi, or beets, might be a useful point of departure. Use several bags and cook them for different times, always doubling times between tests. (30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc.)

You can use the pinch test too. During the cook remove a bag and give the fruit a good pinch to learn if is tender yet. When it is open the bag and cut a piece and test. Resealable bags will be useful for a test.

I have experimented with sous vide jack fruit once. I must admit, the results weren’t amazing. But, I haven’t played around enough times with different temperatures, times, sauces, ingredients. I think there is a way to get it right, just like you would with a slow cooker. But I just haven’t dove right in a second time.

This would be a great experiment to try out! I don’t think there are many (or any) recipes for “pulled pork” cooking sous vide jack fruit - which was what I was going for. Let me know how the experiment goes! I might have a can of the stuff in my pantry - might do a second experiment on Monday.

183F/83.4C would be your minimum starting point. It’s where pectin starts to denature.