Latest Tri Tip

So it was really good ! This time I still marinaded in Soy Sauce overnight… But because it had been a bit salty before, this time I used Kikoman reduced sodium soy sauce, and it was just right :slightly_smiling_face:
Seasoned only with granulated garlic and pepper.
I intended to do it for 24 hours, but pulled it at 16, as we were pressed for time before a show. So 16hrs @ 135 F

So the flavor was excellent ! The doneness was very close to my ideal… medium / rare…
Could have been a touch more tender. I mean, compared to red meat cooked most other ways, it was quite tender, I’m just expecting meat to melt in my mouth with SV nowadays :blush: Spoiled I guess. Long story short, next time, 24 hrs for sure… And maybe @ 133 F ?

Probably do another Tri Tip next week. Got a couple in the freezer still :wink:

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying your experimenting.

1 Like

If you visit a Chinese food shop you can buy sweet soysauce…
My marinade is to also use oyster sauce. 1 part oyster sauce to 2 parts sweet soy sauce.
Ad some garlic powder, a bit of curry powder and sometimes a tablespoon of peanut butter.
Just taste for saltiness. If you need more salt give it a dash of fish sauce to add a nice umami flavour…

Happy eats![quote=“Fishchris, post:1, topic:22921, full:true”]
So it was really good ! This time I still marinaded in Soy Sauce overnight… But because it had been a bit salty before, this time I used Kikoman reduced sodium soy sauce, and it was just right :slightly_smiling_face:
Seasoned only with granulated garlic and pepper.
I intended to do it for 24 hours, but pulled it at 16, as we were pressed for time before a show. So 16hrs @ 135 F

So the flavor was excellent ! The doneness was very close to my ideal… medium / rare…
Could have been a touch more tender. I mean, compared to red meat cooked most other ways, it was quite tender, I’m just expecting meat to melt in my mouth with SV nowadays :blush: Spoiled I guess. Long story short, next time, 24 hrs for sure… And maybe @ 133 F ?

Probably do another Tri Tip next week. Got a couple in the freezer still :wink:

[/quote]

For those new to tri-tip Chris has cut this in 2 pieces for display and further carving. When you cut it for eating cut perpendicular to the meat’s grain. Tri-tip has grains that run in different directions so you need to pay attention to get the best results. Here is an illustration of how the grain runs; Chris’s cut has the two pieces on the right as you can see from his picture. The third piece in the lower left may or may not be included when you buy it. His picture is very good and you can clearly see the grain.

2 Likes

Goshin, geez, that sounded really good, as I’m kind of a sweet freak ! But a quick check on Sweet Soy Sauce nutritional facts showed lots of sugar :frowning: Doesn’t work for my Keto. Maybe I could dump a little Splenda in there ? :grinning:

Yes John. This is always the first cut I make to seperate the two different angles in the grain. Then I turn each piece around and cut the individual slices completely perpendicular to the grain. Like 1/4" for dinner… Really thin for stacking on sandwiches later :slightly_smiling_face:
In fact, I’ll be making a couple big fat Tri tip sandwiches on home made Keto bread in just a little bit.

Fishchris Oeps. No that’s not going to work on a Keto diet. Sweet soy does have a lot of sugars in it. Even the oyster sauce would have to many carbs for ya.Hope you find a solution. Maybe just use a low salt soy sauce and add a sweetener that can stand the heat? The sweetness of the marinade does give the meat a really nice flavour.

But hey, I’m a “dirty keto” guy :slightly_smiling_face: So I don’t have any problem with artificial sweeteners. My favorite is Sucralose. (Splenda) It does great with heat, and tastes great with no funky aftertaste. I think I just might try sweetening up my next Soy sauce marinade :wink:

Don’t forget the curry powder. I use a Marsala.
Peanut butter is a no-no on keto. You could maybe use an almond grind to get the nutty flavour.

I don’t like curry. And PB in my SV, sounds a bit strange to me :slight_smile: lol We do have almond meal around at all times though. Meat with a nutty flavor, huh ? Interesting…

But hey, since you mentioned sweet soy sauce, I am going to sweeten our soy sauce up a bit, for the next SV :slight_smile:

I did one at 133 for 24 hours.

I think you must be reading my mind :slight_smile: I had already decided to do the next one at 24 hours for sure ! And was thinking about dropping from 135, to 133 :slight_smile: That one looks great !

Looks mighty tasty!

Just finished a Tri Tip - marinated for almost 24 hours and in the sous vide for 24 at 133º. It was fantastic! Thanks for all the recommendations.