Need advise on cooking a pork loin roast

I see a lot of recipes for pork tenderloin, but I bought a boneless pork loin. Anyone have a good recipe. Can I put anapricot jam sauce in the bag while cooking or should I add that when searing? I loved the pork tenderloin we made at temp 140 for 2 hours, it was pink and juicy. Yum.

1 Like

We have a quite a bit of pork loin recipes on the website that you can check out!

I’m not familiar with jam sauce with meat. But I have an inclination that someone here might!

Thank you. I did a search in this area for recipes and did not find any when I typed pork loin. Everything came up pork tenderloin.

Hey @Mary1 I just realized my link was broken. Woops! Here’s the link:

2 Likes

Mary, in response to your questions; - no, - and no.
Unless you plan on really annoying your pork.

And please see my earlier response to your pork gravy request,

Apricot jam is mostly sugar and your pork could become a bitter charred mess when you sear it and you might even end up with a ruined pan as a bonus.

I suggest making a glaze with a reduction of apricot jam thinned with some of the SV pork juices and apply it off heat. (Pork juices + apricot jam, then reduce so its syrupy. I’d add a little Dijon too.) Apricot jam is so one-dimensional it desparately needs something else. A little salt and pepper won’t hurt either. How about a splash of sherry vinegar or white balsamic too? Just add a hint of tartness, or extra sweetness, respectively. Nice aromas too.

If you sear with a torch, broiler, or gas grill, you can apply your glaze towards the end of the sear. It will color-up quickly. Otherwise, and after plating, artfully apply your glaze as a drizzle from a plastic-tipped bottle and finish off each portion with a sprinkle of minced chives. It will look and taste so much better.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input, @chatnoir - I also learned something new today. Have you also experimenting with jam? Was this the result it gave you?

My pleasure Alyssa, you are welcome. I’m glad you found something i posted to be useful. Was it that sugar burns at high temperatures?

I’m not experimenting with jam as i’m working on lowering the amount of sugar i consume. I also prefer complex savoury flavours to sweet. I know food fairly well having worked with it most of my adult life and thus know you have to buffer sugar with other substances or it’s likely to burn through experience.

1 Like

Actually a little of the sweet/sour goes well with a roast, but definitely not until the last few minutes. The last lamb leg I cooked got a rub with some quince paste just before it’s final few minutes in a scorching hot oven. I don’t like sticky, unrelieved sweetness, but that sweet/sour combination is great.

Pork does really well with a cider vinegar gastrique too. That’s not on the low sugar side of things, but a little goes a long way.

3 Likes

Thank you. I had not seen the button to get to the recipe portion, and was doing a search on the community board, oops.

Thank you very much for your response. I am off to the store to pick up sherry vinegar and white balsamic. My supply is still packed from our move. Your advise is now on a recipe card.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your response to my pork sauce question in another string. I copied and pasted in an email to myself. It sound really good and you were great at your description on how to make it. I searched to find that message again to reply my Thanks, but lost it. I will get used to this message board soon and be able to find things again, but I did not have time now to search further. So a great big thank you for your advise.

Mary, my pleasure to be of assistance. You certainly appear to have an exciting life.

You should be able to just scroll up from this message to capture my prior comments for you. If not, here they are:

“I suggest making a glaze with a reduction of apricot jam thinned with some of the SV pork juices and apply it off heat. (Pork juices + apricot jam, then reduce so its syrupy. I’d add a little Dijon too.) Apricot jam is so one-dimensional it desparately needs something else. A little salt and pepper won’t hurt either. How about a splash of sherry vinegar or white balsamic too? Just add a hint of tartness, or extra sweetness, respectively. Nice aromas too.”

Of course if a knob of sweet butter should inadvertently fall into your sauce and melt into it, that would be alright too.

Sherry vinegar isn’t in every store, at least in my area, but i find it makes a significantly favourable impact in my cooking and salad dressings.

1 Like

I tried the recipe you gave me. It came out really yummy. Definitely a keeper. Thank you.

1 Like

I appreciate your feedback Mary.
Thank you.

1 Like

Mary1 - I did a (0 856 kg) Boneless Pork Loin Center Roast yesterday. SV at 60 °C for 5 hours. Trimmed most of the fat prior to cooking. Cut roast into 5 steaks (1" thick) + 2 thinner ends (±2" long) and pat dry prior to quick searing on all sides.
While meat was resting, I seasoned sauces in separate pan — one savory and one sweet & sour sauce with base from recuperated meat juices mixed with chicken broth. IMO, seasoning meat prior to SV cooking or searing is a waste. Oh, and let’s not forget that applesauce goes perfectly well with medium rare pork loin roast. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I will try it your way. Making tw sauces is a good idea.

Mary1 - Oops, just realized my comment was 3 months late. Sorry about that and Merry Christmas! :santa:

2 Likes