Premature plastic wear and tear?

I am about to write to ANOVA support about this issue but am curious if anyone else is having issues…

I received two ANOVAs as a gift about a month ago. I am really enjoying them and have been cleaning them regularly after every use. Part of my cleaning process is to remove the stainless steel element cover and plastic impeller cover and wash them in the dish washer as advised by the instructions.

What I have noticed is that the three plastic prongs on the impeller cover are breaking off. One has fallen off already and another has a hairline fracture running through it and about to fall off in the near future. The piece still holds tight on the stainless steel tube but I am concerned about this as this is obviously an important piece of the equipment and it has happened on both of my ANOVA precision cookers.

I am always gentle when removing these pieces especially after the first ANOVA had an issue. Nonetheless the second one has followed also. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone else have this problem? I would have put it down to a one off production fault but both of my machines are having issues. Seems to me like poor engineering or plastic selection.

I would be keen to hear of other’s experiences.

Cheers.

I’m sure it shouldn’t do that.
However I have learned to my dismay, not to wash any cooking equipment in the dishwasher.
Dishwasher detergent is abrasive although usually plastic is safe on the top rack.
But even my Braun chopper bowl degraded and cracked a bit. My cheapo Ziploc containers wear like iron, dishwasher or not.

My rule of thumb on appliances is if it is not stainless steel or very cheap, just hand wash it. I am sure they will replace your housing, but less problematic to hand wash for me.

@klaiguy So sorry to hear this! We’d be happy to take care of this for you. Please send a note to our support team at support@anovaculinary.com. @Bill and his team will make sure your issue is resolved promptly :slight_smile:

@Helen is wise. Dishwasher for dishes, pots and cutlery, and everything else into the sink. Personally I question the need to clean the Anova after every use, it’s not coming into direct contact with food after all. Mine has been permanently set up in the fish tank for the last month, using the same batch of water (and some pool shock), and it’s still going great.

@Jordan will Anova consider releasing 3D models of easily replaced parts so that people can download and 3D print their own repairs?

Concur with @Helen the dishwasher is a surprisingly harsh environment for plastics. My Anova gets removed from the water pot and wiped down with a cloth after use. Once a month or so I take off the shield and examine it and the elements for scale build up. If I find any I gently remove it by rubbing it if it is mild and using a recommended lime dissolver otherwise. Other than taking it off out of curiosity when I first got the unit, I actually haven’t had much call to remove the plastic bottom part.

@adnewman just curious, what water conservation techniques are you using?

@Simon_C I actually find that for short cooks, I try to use the smallest sensible amount of water that will provide thermal stability for the amount of food I’m cooking. I then put a lid on the pot after the cook and use the still-warm water to wash dishes. For long cooks, to save energy I use a modified cooler with lid to minimize evaporation. In that case, the water just stays in the cooler after the cook and I have a little cover for the hole I cut to accommodate the precision cooker.

@adnewman I think using the smallest practical container for water is overlooked by many as a water conservation measure. I do a lot of my cooks in a medium sized soup pot. I also use folding spring clips (originally for paper) to hold the bags in place. They work great since the wings fold down. I use the water for my hydroponic garden after I am done.