Rack of Pork

Looking for a Sous Vide recipe for a Rack of Pork…just need time and temp for medium doneness,

It’s pork loin, bone-in. You can just use the “pork loin” recipes up on the recipes site. For medium, go for 145 F / 62.7 C. Not sure how thick your rack of pork is, but you can also adjust accordingly. The recipes have varying thickness.

Alyssa
Thanks for you reply. I want to clarify that it’s a rack of pork bone in 7lbs…not a pork tenderloin. Similar to a rack of lamb but much larger. I could not find a recipe on this site for this cut and size.

As Alyssa said, a Rack of Pork is just a pork loin left on the bone. Loin and tenderloin are not the same thing. The link that Alyssa gave you contains many recipes for boned loin.

I have heard suggestions that the temperature should be increased a degree or 2F to allow for the heat absorbing properties of bone. Not sure that I would bother.

1 Like

John, most of us know that “Rack of Pork” is just a way charging more for pork loin. Maybe the bones are “Frenched” so it looks pretty, maybe not. It’s still just pork loin. Consider the reason you haven’t found a SV recipe for your meat might be partially caused by it’s lack of suitability.

Weight only affects the price you paid for your meat and otherwise has just about zero impact on cooking time. Your problem is that Rack of Pork’s thickness. At SV cooking temperature those dense bones add substantial thickness and form a heat-shield to the meat’s core, slowing heat penetration. You have not revealed your pork loin’s thickness which is fundamental in calculating SV cooking times, so we can only give you a guesstimate. At 145F, to achieve medium over-doneness, it’s going to take at least 4 hours to reach thermal equilibrium and Pasteurization in a roast about 3-inches thick, yours will might take considerably longer and could become unsafe.

You might want to consider separating the meat from the bones and follow one of the pork loin recipes Alyssa suggested. If you leave a good half-inch of meat or more on the bones you will have a nice rack of ribs to serve alongside your pork loin. Separately pack those bones and cook them with the loin. Finish the rack of bones with a zesty glaze and you will be serving your soon-to-be-famous John’s Pork Two-Ways.

Also, because you intend to cook at 145F you might want to brine your pork loin for 2 or 3 hours before cooking. Contemporary pork is lean and dense, so it will benefit from the moisture brining adds. It won’t hurt that rack of bones to have a brining for half the time. Baldwin recommends using a 7% salt solution with 3% sugar. I use about sea water strength, 4% salt, and an equal amount of dark brown sugar for flavour, but then go about twice as long, - but not so long that it’s cured.

Frank,
Thank you for your detailed reply…gives me lots of knowledge and ideas to pursue. Really appreciate your time spent on this.
Thanks to Alyssa and Ember also…love the Anova Community.
John

1 Like