Recipe: Sous Vide Vegan Cauliflower Alfredo with Bow-tie Pasta

I was inspired by the Sous Vide Vegan Cauliflower Alfredo recipe posted up by Kathy Hester on the recipes site.

However, I did make some minor tweaks to the recipe. Here’s what I did.

Recipe Name: Sous Vide Vegan Cauliflower Alfredo

Recipe Temp: 185 F / 85 C

Recipe Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1. 2 cups chopped cauliflower
  2. 1 cup water
  3. 1/3 cup of cashews
  4. Italian seasoning
  5. 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
  6. 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  7. Salt to taste

Steps:

1. Set temperature to 185 F / 80 C.
  2. Add all of the ingredients to a bag
  3. Cook for 1 hour, 30 minutes.
  4. Pour contents into blender. Blend until creamy.
  5. Add sauce to your favorite pasta.

For the pasta, I chose bow-tie. I also drizzled olive oil onto the pasta before mixing in the sauce. On top I have vegan, breaded eggplant.

I have a question about recipes such as this one. I have no doubt that this works and tastes good. But wouldn’t it be easier and quicker to just steam the cauliflower in a pot on the stove, add the other ingredients, blend, and cook a little more?

In other words, while I’m having a really good time using sous vide for steaks and brisket and such, I don’t understand what the advantage is for food such as vegetables and the like. As far as I can see, it just takes longer to do them sous vide and, due to the other steps, it just makes things more complicated.

Am I missing something?

It’s the same principle as with meat: greater control. If you boil veg, it’s going to be in a 100°C environment (+/- the effects of elevation). If you’re using steam, it can be potentially hotter. What doing it this was will allow you to do is achieve the optimal texture/doneness. Contrary to popular believe, you can overcook vegetables. If you think it’s a waste, you don’t have to do it, but my mashed potatoes have markedly improved since taking more control of the environment they’re initially cooked in.

I actually find some meatless dishes/recipe easier to sous vide. Like @Brian1 mentioned, there’s better control. I don’t have to constantly watch my vegetables, pricking them to see if they are still firm or too soft. I use a lot of different cooking methods, but when I want to just “set it and forget it,” sous vide is my go-to.

Fair enough, that all makes sense, especially the temperature control argument. I guess I’ll have to try this now. Might have to have a try with some carrots :slight_smile:

Sous vide carrots are so freaking good! I made them the other day. Which reminds me, I should probably add that recipe on here too!

I think you may try broccoli instead of cauliflower. Eat your vegetables never sounded sweeter than when you know they’re going to taste great. The trick? Don’t overcook them. Make sure your water is boiling before you put the broccoli in. It only needs to cook for a few minutes (3 -5 min. depending on how much) and should be bright green. Strain it from the water and season with a little salt and butter. Finish it by squeezing fresh lemon juice over the top and you’ve got fresh, tasty, healthy broccoli that your family will love.