Self restart after power outage

Welcome to the community! Appreciate that feedback

120 is in the danger zone - so you expect the APC TO graph how long your food has been in the danger zone while it doesn’t have power?

There’s no way to know the dynamics of each individual vessel. You’re asking Anova to incur liability for virtually no benefit.

Go get yourself a UPS (I’m a fan of the APC 1500’s) and change the default configuration from turning off after 20 minutes to run until the battery has depleted. That should protect you against all be the truly long duration power outages (in which case, you should have a generator for your home if those are frequent).

Read my post please. It would be inexpensive and efficacious to build a
5-10 sec retention into the Nano. The current situation is a bug, please
don’t try to make it a feature. I am a proud owner of 5 APC UPS units,
including the BX1500M. That doesn’t alter the fact of the bug.
bil

Yep, and you also don’t seem to understand the cost of engineering changes. There needs to be enough of a customer benefit to rationalize the expense. Your environment is pretty unique (ie. most customers wouldn’t benefit from this change).

The anova stops even for minor power issues, nothing else in my house stopped or rebooted except the anova. The “safety” issue is easily mitigated, and refrigerators restart after an outage even though they are subject to exactly the same “danger zone” issue being used as a rationalization, it has nothing to do with liability.

Just send a notification (including the current bath temp) when the power comes back on and start the cook.

A UPS is also not a good solution as they don’t support GFCI, which is a safety issue.

The scenarios are entirely different between your fridge and the APC - refrigeration vs cooking. Pretty much guaranteed that your fridge has more insulation than any cooking vessel that you’re using.

Yes, Anova could solve this (potentially) with their cloud connectivity - provided that you have a device local to the APC that could give it the restart command. (something like Apple’s Home Hub connectivity should suffice - maybe they need an Apple TV app for that?). Unfortunately, the APC doesn’t really have the functionality on its limited circuit board for software updates to add this capability.

• you’d need the wifi-enabled APC and an Apple TV of course. :slight_smile:

As for the UPS and GFCI…you’re moving your vessel while a cook is underway? :smiley:

You’re just grasping at straws to defend what should be a standard feature. Both appliances do exactly the same thing, they keep food at a specific set temperature over time and out of the danger zone.

I bought a thermometer that now monitors the temperature and alerts if it falls a few degrees below the set cooking temp. That will at least give me a chance to restart the APC manually.

And you’re not using a GFCI protected socket when using your Anova?:disappointed: You know there is a reason all sockets in a kitchen are required by code to be GFCI. No GFCI protection + electrical appliance + tub of water is not a smart idea.:zap:

Heh. No, with the limitations of the current tech in the APC (which is now about 8 years old), erring on the side of safety is certainly the better option than people getting sick from cooks that resumed when they were away from home. Should they provide better functionality in the next revision? Of course! (But, I wouldn’t hold my breath - Anova has a long history of under-delivering when it comes to software development).

The usual use cases for GFCI are water on the floor or people being foolish enough to hold a live/shorted appliance and grounding themselves in the sink. Unless people want to purposefully burn themselves, I don’t see them putting their hands into their vessel during a cook. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, but you don’t seem to know what you’re talking about. The current generation of APC was introduced in 2019, not “8 years” ago.

And again, just like with a refrigerator, it has nothing to do with safety. If they wanted to do better than a refrigerator then they could simply not re-start if the bath is in the danger zone. Their wi-fi ability gives them plenty of options with respect to alerting customers, up to and including a history of bath temperatures over time.

And now you get to the apparent heart of it… “under-delivering”. I’m asking for a new feature, they don’t have to provide it, but you don’t have to bend over backwards with senseless reasons just to defend not providing it.

Finally, no GFCI are not just for “water on the floor or people being foolish”. And SV temperatures are rarely so hot that a person would burn themselves touching the water briefly. And all it takes is touching, and not even directly if they use a conductive pot to hold the water. Or if it’s on a countertop and the countertop is wet…

Again, you seem intent on grasping straws to argue against a suggested new feature that has obvious benefits and no downside. Why is that?

Ok…your learning curve is pretty flat…last response to this thread…you’re just not getting it.

The “new” APC is just an altered casing - the internals are still the same as the original that came out in 2014. Should they have actually invested in changing the logic board? Most certainly. Did they? Nope.

Pretty much all SV temps are above 130F…most hot water heaters (at least in North America) default at 120F - lots of references online over the various temp points, durations that will cause Nth degree burns.

I can see you’re fully vested in your position, which is obvious since you’ve dogged this for many years.

Keep justifying a baseless position, you seem used to accepting a vendor “under-delivering” as you put it. Other people with more sense will just use better products.

At 130 it takes 30 seconds to receive a third-degree burn. Do you know how long it takes to be fatally electrocuted at any temperature? I’m sure you’ll continue to delude yourself on this very real safety issue.