Simple Surf n' Turf

So I wasn’t planning to use my Anova Precision Cooker last night for the first day of Spring. I was planning to smoke/grill this 2" thick porterhouse I had defrosted overnight in the fridge:

However, after shoveling 3" of heavy wet snow from our walk and driveway:

I realized I really didn’t feel like being outside any longer than I needed to be. Anova to the rescue.
I hit the steak with Salt/Pepper/Onion/Garlic. Vac sealed and in at 138*.

We had friends coming over that are observing Lent, so I also wanted to do some shrimp.
I thawed 2 pounds of frozen shrimp, peeled all but the tails, and then gave them a coating of olive oil and Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin ( http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/tsunami-spin/ ) and vac sealed. I made sure the use the “gentle” and “moist” setting on the FoodSaver. We absolutely love DP TS on shrimp.

There were 2 bags, but the other looked just like this one.

No I had a puzzle. The steak was cooking at 138* and I needed 149* for the shrimp. However, the shrimp is a quick 15 minute cook, so I simply pulled the steak 15 minutes before service and added boiling water to help bring the temp to 149* and then dropped the shrimp in. While the shrimp was cooking I finished the steak with my TS8000 torch and fried some veggie eggrolls I had in the freezer that I rolled this week. I was going to torch the shrimp, but they looked so good coming out of the bag, I just dumped them on a draining rack and everyone dug in.

Hopefully this helps someone else that is wondering how to do steak and shrimp with a single Anova. I see a second Anova in my future at some point, but my wife can’t figure out why I need another cooking device…

Thanks! The food looks great!

I was thinking about a way to do steak and lobster tail. From what I have read Lobster tail is a longer cook than shrimp so I was thinking of cooking the steak ahead of time and then reheating near the end of the lobster cook. Any thoughts?

Thanks! The food looks great!

I was thinking about a way to do steak and lobster tail. From what I have read Lobster tail is a longer cook than shrimp so I was thinking of cooking the steak ahead of time and then reheating near the end of the lobster cook. Any thoughts?

Thanks Ron! As far as reheating, were you thinking of reheating the steak in the sous vide toward the end of the lobster cook?
If so, I’d be concerned the hotter water would over cook the steak, at least the outer portions of it, and you wouldn’t end up with that perfect medium-rare sous vide can produce.

I’ve never done lobster, but in doing some quick google checks, lobster doesn’t need to cook at 149* like shrimp. According to this:

126* for sushi grade, or 140* for other. It also looks like lobster tail is a 15 minute cook as well.

Hmm…sounds like my next surf n’ turf might include lobster, thanks for the suggestion! :wink:

My thought was to cook the lobster first since it looks like it cooks at a hotter temp and then reheat it near the end of the steak cook.

My thought was to cook the lobster first since it looks like it cooks at a hotter temp and then reheat it near the end of the steak cook.

That could work, never tried it. If you try, post your cook and let us know how it works.

@DMW … Out of curiosity do you use any of the other Dizzy Pig Seasonings? If so, which ones do you like the best? Your food looks beautiful including the egg rolls on the other thread.

@DMW .... Out of curiosity do you use any of the other Dizzy Pig Seasonings? If so, which ones do you like the best? Your food looks beautiful including the egg rolls on the other thread.

Thanks!

I just pulled my current DP collection out of my spice cabinet for this photo shoot:

Let’s just say I’m a fan :smile:

I think they all have their place. If you haven’t tried their full line, they have sampler packs which are a great way to see what you might like.

@DMW …That’s hysterical… Just ordered the sample pack… Thanks!