Sorry for another egg bites post, but I decided to have a go at the starbucks egg bites today. Never actually seen one, and don't know if they even sell them in Australia, but I love eggs, so i had a shot: https://imgur.com/a/XcgUI
basic process as seen in the pics:
- chop garlic, chives, chilis.
- slice up some home made bacon.
- pop a little butter in the pan and fry the bacon
- remove bacon, add the garlic, chives and chilis to the butter/bacon fat
- whisk 6 eggs with a little sesame oil, whisk in the garlic/chives/chilis and some pepper
- spray muffin tin with canola oil, grate some parmagiano reggiano into the cups
- add bacon to the cups, followed by the egg mixture
- vac seal, stop the vac just as the egg starts to pull from the cups
- cook in sous vide bath for 1.5 hours at 76.6c/170f
when you pull them out, the egg that got pulled by the vacuum just needs a scraping off. put a cutting board on top of the muffin tin and flip it over.
that's about it. i was going to broil them with a bit more reggiano and some paprika but didn't get around to it.
the texture was deliciously creamy, they were firm enough to hold in your hand without fear of breaking them, and tasted great, very savory, and a little spicy from the chili. taking them to work tomorrow to share with the lads.
will definitely be doing this again, though i may make a lighter version like others have been doing, with primarily eggwhites and cottage cheese etc...
i give each picture a description on my instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/shit_o_tron/