Quasi Sous Vide

I loath pealing soft cooked eggs and not wanting to wait for sous vide eggs for breakfast I tried a new method. I know I did not use the Anova but it was close to sous vide.

First I browned some butter in a small frying pan. I then got out the plastic wrap and made 2 squares on the counter. I painted the squares with the browned butter and added salt, freshly ground black pepper and some chopped up chives I picked fresh. I picked up the square and put it in a small ramekin and broke a fresh egg into it. I then used a twist tie to seal up the package. I repeated the process for the next egg. I then placed the sealed pouches in gently boiling water for 3 minutes 30 seconds. During the last minute i made a piece of toast. When the timer went off I retrieved the pouches and removed the ties and rolled the perfectly cooked eggs onto my toast and enjoyed a light breakfast. I repeated the process for my wife’s eggs.

This was the best of both worlds; no straining out loose egg whites you get from the traditional methods and it only took minutes. The browned butter added a nice flavor to the dish. I think next time I will need to cook a couple strips of bacon to go with it.

It does sound like an interesting way to make “dry poached” eggs, but sous vide (even quasi) it ain’t.
It has no temperature control (100deg C) and it’s time critical.

Guy_H said:
It does sound like an interesting way to make "dry poached" eggs, but sous vide (even quasi) it ain't. It has no temperature control (100deg C) and it's time critical.

True but it was in a pouch separating it from the water. One out of three is not too bad.
:slight_smile: