Still confused

Read quite a few of the posts on prime rib. I tried to find a definative answer to time on the cook.

Here is what i have.
15lb boneless ribeye approx 5 inch diameter.
If i read right its 6 to 10 hours at 131f?

If not then i truly am lost.

There is no definitive answer because everyone likes something different. How much tooth/mouth feel do you want?

Ribeye is a low use muscle so it will be naturally tender. Therefore, you’re not going to need to cook to tenderise by converting collagen to gelatin. You’ll not need to cook for all that much longer than the time it will take for the meat to reach temperature equilibrium.

So, by most charts on more tender meats is theblow end of the range? In this case 6ish hours?

Yup. 6 hours will do it. But there’s probably not a lot of difference between 6 hours and 10 hours anyway.

Remember, one of the reasons for cooking sous vide is because you’ve got wide windows of perfection. In this instance you’ve got a 4 hour window of opportunity to pull your roast and finish it as you desire.

Mic, 15 pounds you say? I think that’s more than a rib eye roast at that weight and diameter. It’s likely at least 2 feet long, probably longer, - and/or cut from an ox. I don’t think you got what you thought you were getting.

To give you a precise cooking time I would want to know the grade and aging of your meat. There was probably no fat on your roast, so no grading stamp either. I suspect it was cut well forward on the animal to be that size so you might have half chuck and half rib eye. I’ve seen that on some bargain priced ungraded meat roasts in grocery stores.

If the aging is minimal and you have more than just rib eye you might consider a 24-hour cook at 131F. Maybe longer.

Total number of bones was 8 or 9. So, it is the whole ribeye cut edge chuck to edge of short loin.

Restaurant supplier roast not grocery. Graded choice.

It has been wet aged approx 30 days.
Also, very little fat cap, looks to be well marbled.

Just as a reference I did exactly what you are doing, with veal for last new years eve. I recall that I initially had the intention of cooking it 5 hours and actually seared it after 6 or 7 hours, it was perfect but it is veal, you do not eat veal raw or rare but done !

Be careful with your temp selection as, cooked this long, beef can loose some of its juiciness, its is a difficult trade-off. Without ruining your whole idea, maybe you would be better off cutting it in 2 to reduce the cooking time ? just a suggestion, have fun !

Mic, so you got all the rib-eye from the whole sub-primal cut from a large animal. That’s going to be an impressive roast.

Unless you cut a roast that size in half lengthwise you are not going to substantially reduce cooking time. I’d go with Ember’s recommendation, 10 hours will do you.

If you plan to sear it then 6 hours is plenty. A roast that big will take 30 min to get a good sear which will give it that roasted flavor. I prefer doing a roast that big entirely on the grill. Let us know how it turns out.

Guess my reply was lost.

So, i decided to cut 3 lbs off the 15lbs. Plan was in at 12am off at 7am sear and test. That would give me plenty of timento go a couple more hours if i thought it needed it. At 2am i went to sleep at 9 i woke up… so 9 hours i take it out
… over sleeping at a bbq contest is not a good thing (good thing this wasnt one) i took it out, rested for 30 mins and seared at 650 degrees for 4 mins per side.

Perfect. So 11 lbs for 8 hours, seared and served