Temperature for Mashed Potatoes

Does anybody know the difference in temperature/time vs quality for mashed potatoes? The standard method of 194f for 1 - 1 1/2 hours works well but lower temperatures should also work. Am going to try 180f for 2hr today. Maybe lower would work?

My anova 800w has started to give unstable temperature readings when holding 194f. Am thinking higher temps are harder on the unit.

1 Like

Lower wont work due to the minimum temperature that the potato breaks down and softens. 180F is too low, and will result in a very hot, yet raw potato. 190-195F is the sweet spot for potatoes

I have the same experience with high temperature water baths, after awhile the temperature reading goes bonkers. The problem is this: the anova has slots on the side opposite the readout. When cooking at a temperature where you get a lot of steam, the steam gets inside the slots and mucks with the electronics. I tie a napkin to cover the slots and then I don’t have any problems. For example, I’ll do duck leg quarters for 5 hours at 185 F, and don’t have a problem, as long as I tie the napkin to cover the slots.

I used 180f for 2h and got great results using a potato ricer. I would need to do both again to confirm but liked the 180f more as it has a touch more potato taste to it whereas the 194f may have been a touch sweeter. 194f was more tender/falling apart but 180f certainly was cooked and tender.

Thanks FurrierTransform, will give that a try.

Ah yes, if you are ricing that will certainly help break them down!

These slots should remain uncovered during cooking, fyi. The new devices are steam and water resistant!

On my model, some years old, I can see what looks like a transformer and a circuit board through the slots. Instead of covering the slots, what would you suggest? On my setup, I cover the top of the cooking vessel (usually an ice chest) with a sheet of styrofoam and position the cooker with the slots centered on the back end of the holder.

It would be better to eliminate the steam from leaving the cooking vessel by using a lid or wrap. You are likely to overheat your cooker if the vents are blocked while cooking.

There is a good blog on cooking potatoes (internal temperatures etc.) here: The Thermal Dirt on Potatoes: Potato Doneness Temperatures and More |

Ah this is SUPER cool! Thanks for sharing

thank you for sharing your comments guys, this is really good

this is really good..