Timig to set for steaks

Hi,

if I have a 3inch USDA Prime boneless short rib and I wanna cook it medium rare, reckon the temp should be about 54degC but how about timing?

Read on some other site that for 1inch will require 1 hour. How about triple the thickness?

thanks for help.

1 Like

@john.jcb @RichardOL can you offer your expert advice? :wink:

Even Prime short ribs would be considered a less tender cut. I think 18-24 hours. Possibly as much as 48 hours for medium rare since the lower temperature is slower working to break down the structure.

1 Like

@fastfatdude I also find this chart from Serious Eats super helpful Sous Vide Steak Guide | The Food Lab.

Also, the recipes page from Anova: https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/

1 Like

I always have done bone in short ribs as I believe it adds flavor. I may be wrong but that is what I have done. I cook mine anywhere from 48-72 hours. They are extremely tender and flavorful and lately I have been closer to 48 hours. I have a picture somewhere I will look for.

1 Like

Hi,

Read this article already but timings are based on 1-2inch steaks.

For thicker cuts than above, reckon the heater needs a longer time to reach the center of the meat so wondering how much longer ?

Well, I am dry aging a 1kg piece of short rib and reckon after the trimming, putting the whole piece in to sous vide and searing after will be the best effect. For that I should be looking at at least 3inches in thickness.

Thanks.