Truffled egg bites

Recipe Name: Truffled egg bites

This is an up-market variation on the Star Bucks egg bites. The truffle aroma and fluffy texture make this a very tasty treat, especially if you add a few truffle shavings to the mixture.

Recipe Temp: 75 ºC (176 ºF)

Recipe Time: 50 minutes (10 minutes preparation, 40 minutes cook time)

Ingredients:

1. 5 eggs (300 g total)
  2. 125 g ricotta cheese
  3. 125 g thick cream
  4. 50 g truffled parmesan, truffled pecorino, or similar truffled hard cheese
  5. ½ tsp salt
  6. 1 tsp truffle oil
  7. 1 smoked pickled mushroom
  8. 1 slice semi-dried tomato
  9. 2–3 stalks garlic chives
  10. 6 small (4 oz) sterilized mason jars

Steps:

1. Grate cheese, and combine with cream, ricotta, eggs, and salt.
  2. Blend mixture until perfectly smooth.
  3. Slice mushroom and tomato into six pieces each and place one piece of each of into each jar. Fill jars with egg mixture.
  4. Drop three or four short pieces of garlic chives on top of the mixture for decoration.
  5. Add a few drops of truffle oil to each jar.
  6. Loosely seal mason jars and cook at 75 ºC for 40 minutes.

For a more intense truffle aroma, add a few shavings of black or white truffle to the mixture and keep it in a sealed container in the fridge for 24 hours before filling the jars.

1 Like

Thanks, seems interesting. Why the smoked pickled mushroom? sounds very “ratatouille” like inspiration for the frenchie I am !

2 Likes

Ah, just because I like pickled mushrooms :slight_smile: Really, I was just looking around for one or two tidbits to add for interest, and settled on the mushroom and semi-dried tomato because that struck my fancy.

Of course, you can throw in whatever else you like (or nothing). There must be many dozens of things that’ll work. Bits of ham, salmon, asparagus, steamed broccoli… go for it! :wink:

2 Likes

In complete agreement, I will try to flavor it with vervain and maybe top it with something crispy, maybe small toasted sandwich bread cubes, no fat, just toasted. Not completely determined yet.

By the way, what kind of mushrooms are you pickling ? I pickle other things, like herring, but have never tried with mushroom.

Sorry, have to admit to my laziness here; I just bought a few at the local deli :slight_smile:

Oh, my, this sounds delicious! I hope I can find it again when I’m not riding in a pickup! Egg Bites have been a real hit chez nous.