What sites are you using for recipes or daydreaming?

Anyone found any sites or forums that they are really enjoying or finding super useful?

I would like to find something halfway between the serious molecular gastromers and recipes that call for a can of cream of whatever soup.

gwendelen, Not that I’ve got my cooker but I live in hope, preparing for it. LOL
In that respect I really like the recipes on Jason Logsdon’s site Modernist cooking forum http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/modernist-cooking-forums I liked the recipes so much I actually bought one of his books; Sous Vide Help for the Busy Cook.
I’ve also gleaned some recipes from Kenji Alt Lopez over at Serious Eats. He’s recently taken an interest in Sous Vide and been putting up some recipes… and he’s always reliable.
Getting a few from the blog Dad Cooks Dinner… He only has a few right now but I love his site in general and he’s dead on accurate with his directions… Then, there is always eGullet . They have alot of forum threads on Sous Vide Here is a whole thread on sous vide eggs alone
All about "sous vide" eggs - Cooking - eGullet Forums
Started exploring ChefSteps too

Whoops… Forgot about nom nom paleo…she has an interest in both sous vide as well as pressure cooker recipes…Has quite a few easy recipes and its a very good site with clear directions…She even has a video of how to use the Iwatani Cooking Torch which I’m having a really hard time holding off buying until I actually receive my Anova…

P.S. Sous Vide Supreme site also has many recipes

@Saluki. Instead of Iwatani, check out the Searzall. Just got mine last month. It works as billed.
Bon appétit.

@saluki‌ it looks like you have found pretty much the same resources I have. There’s just not that many out there. Yet.

How do you like the busy cook book?

For more Recipes. check this paleo cook book. (Link Removed)

We’d love feedback on the recipes we’re creating - https://recipes.anovaculinary.com. Thanks!

It is getting better every day. I cant wait to get my unit so I can try some of these recipes out.

@gwendelen: I think Sous Vide for the busy cook will be very useful as a beginning. It has alot of recipes that can be used as a jumping off point… It’s very clearly written and seems to have minimum times as well as maximum times in the recipes that food can be held with a minimal loss in moisture… He has handy cooking charts in the back including cooking by thickness… (I already have a pair of calipers ready LOL)… No sous vide vegetables or desserts however…seems like a good beginners book with a good selection of recipes…
@markc been eyeing the Searzall for a while-- It looks so powerful
@Stephen Svajian: Looking forward to trying the Sous Vide Char Siu Style Chinese Baby Back Ribs as soon as my circulator arrives as well as the rack of lamb recipe which looks delicious!

Thanks. Please let us know if there’s anything else you’d like to see.

Well wether I get my unit before Christmas or not I am going to make the Sous Vide Kabocha with Cardamom Ricotta and Pomegranate. My Daughter is Vegetarian and she will love this. So If I dont have the unit I will make it Chef Steps method. There are a bunch if recipes I am anxious to try.

@saluki thanks for the recommendation. I was perusing it on amazon and I think it is exactly what I want. I’m gonna order it today.

@"Stephen Svajian"‌ it would be great to have a forum for vs cooks. Whether it’s this one cleaned up and made more functional for cooking discussion or a new one.

Ok, I got the busy cook book. Still don’t have my anova, so, I will be doing some of my own expirementation when it arrives, but I was a little surprised at a couple of things. First, his strong no salt stance. I haven’t really read this before and I’m wondering what other people have found either through first hand knowledge or online/reading. (His position is to never salt prior to vs as it draws out moisture).

The second was that all of his recipes were pretty similar in that they consisted of adding some dry spices to a piece of meat and dumping it in the water and they only really varied in finishing. This may be part of the convenience factor, idk. I have seen very very few recipes that call for cooking in a sauce or liquid as you would for traditional braising and I’m not really sure why that is. A couple of things that I can think of would be that the juices from the meat would dilute the sauce… I mean, that doesn’t seem like a big deal to me… Seems like a good way to use those juices. Maybe the long cooking time doesn’t work well with sauces… I’m not really buying this either… I mean, depends what the sauce/broth is. The only thing that really makes since to me is the challenge of vacuum sealing liquids… And even that… Can’t we just freeze then seal, and so many people use zip locks and displacement… What am I missing here?

I’ve had a foodsaver for many years and have always found it a big challenge to seal any moisture laden food without putting a paper towel in the top of the bag which you wouldn’t want to do with sous vide or freezing it before vacuuming.

Wonder if the flavor would get overly concentrated into the meat over the long cooking times in a bag?

I was thinking for the type of cooking you are talking about I may eventually get a dorkfood or Codlo if the price comes down so I could put the food in a crockpot and control the temp without using a bag—more like a braise than sous vide…

Oops, hit post before I was ready. I meant to ask/comment about one other thing. Anyone have any experience w holding veggies for long periods of time at lower than veggie cooking temp?

For instance, I was thinking about adapting the cooks illustrated pot roast to SV. In the CI recipe, you brown the chuck and fry up the mirepoix and toss it in the oven w chicken stock and potatoes more carrots… Whatever, that’s my take on the CI recipe anyway. So, if I toss it all in the bag to start with, My potatoes and carrots won’t be edible if I cook them at roast temp, right, but If I precook up my veggies and then add them to the bag w the chuck roast, are they going to disintegrate w the long cooking time it takes for the roast to cook, or will they be protected because they are no where near 183?

Maybe my idea of all those favors melding together in the oven is exaggerated and it won’t make a damn bit of difference to just combine them afterwards. Potatoes and carrots are cheap enough to experiment with. However, my husband has been listening to me talk about SV for so damn long with nothing to show for it, that my first thing has got to be spectacular, otherwise I’m gonna get my chops busted pretty hard. I’ve been thinking pot roast, cause the idea of pot roast cooked anything other than well done totally intrigues me.

@gwendelen. Chicken breast sous vide is as moist as you will ever have. It may keep your chops from being busted.
Sousvide Supreme has a lot of recipes on their website divided by type of food. Anova has a superior and more cost-effective product but sousvide supreme has been around long enough to have developed a decent library of recipes.

Also, freezing and vacuuming liquids works as does ziploc/displacement. You’re not missing anything.

Luck to you.

@gwendelen‌ Good suggestion to clean up this forum and provide a place for cooks.

Thanks. Please let us know if there's anything else you'd like to see.
@Stephen ....Do you think you could get someone to proofread Anova's Salmon and Hoisin recipe and correct it.....???? It's missing the Hoisin ingredient entirely in the ingredients.... It looks like such a good beginner recipe.......I'd really like to try it but would rather not guess amounts.......

@saluki‌ Yes. Will do.