What's everyone preferred searing method?

I put my Lodge cast iron skillet on my weber gas grill. Preheat for 10/15 minutes add oil butter and sear. Keeps all that smoke outsidešŸ˜œ

1 Like

Ah, this is a really good idea! I alway fear my fire alarm might go off when I sear. @berge

Thanks. I first heard of this idea on one of the Anova blog sites. So thanks to the bloggers out there i tried it and found out it worked greatšŸ˜

1 Like

Just put a shower cap over it. Sheez. What kind of a chef are you? Afraid of a little smokeā€¦

:smiley:

A shower cap? Pffttt! You gotta put a Jiffy Pop over it. @acs

I was actually being serious. A shower cap over most residential smoke detectors will disable them.

1 Like

Actually just learned about it after you said it! Lol. Thanks. @acs

I have tried the torch method and had good results, but my favorite right now is putting my Lodge double sided griddle on top of a turkey fryer burner.
Heat the cast iron slowly and monitor temp until it is 8-900 degrees.

Steaks, chicken, and pork tenderloin so far. All turned out great.

Tomorrow I try salmon.

I am trying to talk my wife into a new grill and have been looking at the Campchef Woodwind.

Two reasonsā€¦one is to impart smoke in some of what i want to SV. Also because it has a searbox that reaches 900 degrees.
FWIWā€¦THE SEARBX CAN BE BOUGHT SEPARATE.

My experince so far. Hope it helps.

As pellet grill/smokers go, Camp Chef pellet grills out perform most others in their price class. They have two smoke settings, a low and a high, which I believe no other manufacturer uses. The low is heavy volumes of smoke at about 168F, the high is slightly lesser volume of smoke, more akin what other manufacturerā€™s grills pump out, at around 230F. You can do great bbq with either.

Quality pellets will make all the difference in the end product. LumberJack (bbqpelletsonline.com) and Cookinpellets are the best ones Iā€™ve found - they are the wood that they claim to be on the bag and are not made from bark scrap trimming like some other brands. Traeger pellets are complete over priced garbage - the are, at most, only 30% the wood advertised on the bag, the other 70+ is alder or oak, depending on where the mill is located. Their mesquite and hickory are 0% mesquite / hickory and rather just flavoring oils.

I totally agree with @acs with respect to pellets. I buy mine from a local supplier that buys them directly from the manufacturer and he guarantees the wood percentage. I get them at a very good price as I buy enough for a couple of years and pick them up in my truck. No shipping and a cash discount. the Woodwind looks great as well. I am not sure how long I will be in my current house so nothing new is being bought unless something breaks.

2 Likes

Very cool!