2 Entries.

Can I cook 2 Entries at the same time, like chicken breast and small potatoes?

To cook things at exactly the same time, in the same bath, they need to share a temperature. In the case of your chicken and potatoes the spuds require a much higher temp to cook the starch and pectin.

The usual suggestion would be to cook the higher temperature item first. It can be then left in the tub while the lower temp item cooks without any noticeable quality drop.

Makes sense thank you for the reply. Tonight will be my first cook with the cooker…

Hey BD, the cat always says to SV newcomers here, - go slow to go fast.

Compound cooking can be challenging. Go one step at a time as you learn this new method of cooking with its many new cooking techniques. You might want to go back here on the Community Board for a while to review Ember’s post, and mine if you have some extra time. We’ve been at it for a while and frequently share comments on the basics of SV cooking so they can be well understood.

Before you cook, feel free to ask.
It will save on your food bill.

Not to be too picky, but maybe i will.
An “entrée” is a centre of the plate protein item while potatoes are considered a “side” item, or accompaniment to the entrée.
That’s just to help us all to speak the same language.

Bonne chance et bon appétit!.

My Vegan side kick might take a little offense to you describing their “entree” as a side.

My apology, BD.

Small potatoes are the most unusual vegan entrée i’ve discovered.
I’m not quite sure i could serve them in that manner, but it’s good to know.

I find it fascinating how my culinary knowledge is ever expanding in ways i never would have expected.
Thank you.

I wouldn’t bother to use sous vide on vegetables. I like the Ziploc zip’n’steam bags when making just one or two portions of potatoes. A full bag of small red potatoes, with one tablespoon water for steam, takes 7 minutes in the microwave.

The bags can be rinsed and reused several times before the zipper gives out. There’s a chart on the bag listing times for half-bag or full bag of various veggies.

Some veg are worth doing sous vide - it retains the flavours, but can also keep a lot of texture. Try fine green beans, or carrots - though potatoes don’t really work as you can’t get the temperature up high enough to break down that tough starch properly.
And onions in a little chicken stock for 2.5 hours at 65C … crunchy, but with that “cooked onion” flavour (I found out poaching chicken breasts sous vide for a chicken and chorizo dish). I need to experiment with onions, garlic, and sous vide some more …

As far as potatoes go, 74C for starch breakdown 84C for pectin conversion. At least 2 hours for mashing.

1 Like