2 dishes?

Hi there,
Just got my ANOVA yesterday, and I want to try cooking chicken breast with a side of carrots. Both are supposed to be good in the the sous vide. But the directions say chicken cooks for 60 min @ 65 degrees, but the carrots cook for 45 minutes at 82 degrees.
I don’t mind the idea of adding things to the water bath at different times so they all finish at the right end time, but how do I account for the different cooking temperatures?
Do I just have to choose one dish (the chicken, or the carrots) to be done sous vide, and the other just gets done the old fashioned way?

1 Like

Vegetables need to be cooked higher, 83.4C to reach the pectin conversion point. So, you would need to cook the vegetables first then cool the water down and cook the protein. The carrots can hang out in the water staying warm while the chicken cooks or else you can chill them down and pop them in the fridge and add them back to the water for the last half hour.

It’s something that you’ll come across a lot in sous vide cooking. It is achievable but requires some planning.

3 Likes

Or buy a second sous vide​:grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Brilliant :slight_smile:
Looks like I have a lot to learn about cooking this way, but I’m very happy with my results so far.
Thank you.

Sure. It’s a learning curve, but it’s a fun one. And a yummy one. :smiley:

1 Like