After sous vide the vacuum bag was full with air

Hey, i was fallow the recepies, after sucking out the air, and close the bag, i made the meat (turkey breast, 62 C - 6 hours). When it was done, the vacuum bag was full with air (lot of air). I messed it up? is it edible?
For the finishing i planing to put it in the oven…
thx

I’d be cautious. I’ve never had a lot of air in a bag after a cook, other than maybe a few very small bubbles. So, what you are seeing is not normal.

I can’t think of any source for the gas other than bacteria breeding inside. Did it smell bad when you opened the bag? (Even if it didn’t, I’m not entirely sure that this would indicate that things are safe.)

The safe thing to do would be not eat it. Maybe someone else here who has experienced this can chime in…

The smell was not bad. But anyway, i gave it to the trash :(. I tried anova before, but that was the first time, when the cooking time was 6 hours, and the temperature was more than 60 celsius. I let it work, and after i came back, it has already air inside.

In circumstances like this be led by your nose. Sniff testing it will give you a good indication.

Did you have the water bath up to temperature before you put the turkey breast in to cook? While it doesn’t really make a difference to the overall cooking of the article, it does make a bit of difference to the food safety aspect. You really want the exterior of the meat, which is most likely to harbour bacteria, to come up to temperature as quickly as possible. This helps render most of the bacteria inactive more quickly. Putting the product into a cold bath and allowing it to come up to temperature with the water bath is a little more hazardous as it allows for longer time for the meat surface to be between the 2C and 50C that is considered hazardous. 6 hours spent at 62C is certainly plenty of time for the turkey breast to have pasteurised.

The breast may have undergone autolysis rather than a bacterial contamination. But either option would render the turkey breasts inedible.

What type of vacuum setup do you use? Is it a channel style vacuum and seal machine or reusable bags with a hand pump for air removal? While either style will no pull a true vacuum, the hand pump option is likely to leave higher air content in the bag. Air expands as it is heated. The meat itself will also expel some air and gas as it cooks.

I guess what I am trying to point out is that there are several possible reasons for there being air in the bag with your turkey breast. You will have to make up your own mind about proceeding with the meal or not.

Thx for quick responses!
I use a Gorenje vacuum gasket. Sometimes I recognize the bubble after the method, but it was very good yesterday.
I put it in the water when it was 61 degrees …
I left the job when I came back, some water evaporated and a small part of the meat was not in the water. That may be the reason. ?
Whatever it is, there is a 1.5 year old baby, so I do not risk it…

i mean 61 celsius…

Having some of it exposed won’t have helped. It seems to make the air problem worse.

I would guess that your seal was incomplete, or the bag had a small hole somewhere. Did you notice more water in the bag as well? Or was the water in your water bath contaminated?

i checked the bag after, and there was no hole… the water was clear. that’s why i don’t understand.
And of course before the action, I vacuum it with the machine.

My family owned a meat business when I was growing up and I also worked may years for GFI America a meat producer. If there is air in the bag after Sous Vide there are a couple of reasons, your vacuum sealer didn’t seal properly, hole in the bag, the turkey breast shrunk while cooking which can be a problem with frozen poultry. Is it safe, stick a thermometer in it and see of it reached the temp you were cooking it at. More than likely the if you bought a turkey breast at the supermarket it was injected with some type of flavoring, especially if it was frozen.