Android App

Appy app app?

@Fudspong Appy to say it’s coming along well :slight_smile:

@jordan well, I would be more un’appy about the lack of Android app if Anova had used wi-fi instead of bluetooth. I really like the idea of controlling the unit and getting alerts on my phone from anywhere. Having an amazingly easy to use and intuitive (plus beautifully designed) front panel and then offering a phone app that only works within walking distance of that panel . . . seems a bit . . . um, what’s the word I’m looking for?

@Fudspong I believe the word you’re looking for is AWESOME! …okay, so maybe not…although I must say, I like being able to start that baby up before rolling out of bed so it’s at temp by the time I’ve dragged myself into the kitchen to cook breakfast.

Anywho, a bit unrelated but I’d like to quickly note that if anyone is interested in a first, second, or third cooker or even an awesome gift for someone else, see our lovely little discount program that started today: http://community.anovaculinary.com/discussion/506/todays-5get50-discount-code-is

And back to Android - @ILikeToCookITCookIT just released an Android App which all of you may enjoy, it’s called HotTub Remote, check it out:
http://community.anovaculinary.com/discussion/496/my-app-hottub-remote-is-available-for-the-android

Fudspong, if you’re really interested in being able to access your device via the internet, I can definitely work on something that will give you that ability as long as you have a server or bluetooth smart internet gateway device within distance of your Anova device.

@ILikeToCookITCookIT It would be cute but please don’t go out of your way for something that will most likely be used to show off to my co-workers rather than actually do anything useful :slight_smile:

@Fudspong Appy to say it's coming along well :)

My kid says the same thing about his homework…and guess what, he never does it…

@celltech @jordan Jordan, did your dog eat the Android app?

@celltech @jordan Jordan, did your dog eat the Android app?

@Fudspong @celltech He deleted it then he ate my calendar :s

We invite you to join in on the conversation to share whatever you'd like us to know. As a guideline, we won't be using this as a thread to post updates we're making on the iOS app nor will we post about the Android or Windows app statuses, so please refrain from questions about release dates or specific product details as we will delete them (sorry!). We have many other threads where related comments are happily welcomed but we'd like to make sure this one remains an open dialogue about what YOU want and how we can make your experience using the app as AMAZING as possible.

My comment there was deleted, despite not actually asking for a release date, I know we won’t be given one. My suggestion was to actually have the app available before asking for feedback on it. :confused:

@Centipede I’m so sorry!! Really, we don’t like deleting or editing anything because we value and appreciate everything that everyone has to say, whether positive or negative. Every comment and response we get is taken to heart, and we want everyone to have a voice. Your comment was valid, and we took note of it. We wouldn’t have taken it down had it been posted in any other thread, such as this one. We don’t delete comments from our members (unless it’s spam), which is why we noted in the initial post that that particular thread would be an exception and that comments straying from the focus of discussing feedback and thoughts on the app. I apologize for not making that clear and I added a bit onto the post just now to avoid confusion.

If a member’s comment is ever edited or deleted, I will always follow up with whoever posted the comment to apologize and explain the reasoning, because I don’t want anyone here to feel like we don’t care what you have to say. If you have any questions at all, I’m more than happy to discuss this.

Fudspong, if you're really interested in being able to access your device via the internet, I can definitely work on something that will give you that ability as long as you have a server or bluetooth smart internet gateway device within distance of your Anova device.

What types of hardware devices are available to allow my Anova to be accessed remotely? Just downloaded your app and ordered my Precision today. I’m a geek that loves to cook, can’t wait to get my hands on this.

Fudspong, if you're really interested in being able to access your device via the internet, I can definitely work on something that will give you that ability as long as you have a server or bluetooth smart internet gateway device within distance of your Anova device.

What types of hardware devices are available to allow my Anova to be accessed remotely? Just downloaded your app and ordered my Precision today. I’m a geek that loves to cook, can’t wait to get my hands on this.

You would basically just need to run some server on a computer with Bluetooth that was close enough to your Anova. Basically the server software would "listen" on it's internet connection and re-broadcast commands via Bluetooth (and vise-vera to get the response out).

Like ILikeToCookITCookIT mentioned, you could have your router act as the server if it has Bluetooth or a USB port (running something like DD-WRT, so you could access the BT Dongle), but this would be much more difficult.

I just ordered my Precision Cooker and was thinking about doing the same thing with my Desktop (close enough to the kitchen for the BT to reach). Maybe put up a web front end to check/update the Precision Cooker from anywhere.

I’ll refrain from asking for a release date for an Android app, but will say I’d really like to buy your product but won’t until that app appears. Intended as incentive, not complaint.

@blancap Having used the Apple app and the two third-party Android app, the app itself is really the least part of the Anova Sous Vide experience. The cooker is a joy to work with even without an app, and the results are amazing. I urge you to consider taking advantage of the 5GET50 discount promotion while it lasts. And if the lack of app really is a deal-breaker, then the two third-party apps currently on the Google Play store work perfectly well.

User @stackofhay of the third party Android app has made an awesome, borderline genius suggestion, and has welcomed me to repeat it here (credit for this is his, not mine, I just think it’s awesome).

Have the scroll wheel lit up as blue when the water is under temperature, have it as red when it’s over temperature, and have it as green (he suggested white but I think green is the ‘go’ colour) when the water temperature is just right. This would be especially useful during multi-stage cooks when water temperature needs to drop before you add the next ingredient.

It could also flash once the unit has reached safe handling temperature after the cooking has finished. Make it so!

jordan said:

@Roman Thanks for checking! We'll be publishing a more concrete schedule for the release of the Android app next week. Our development team is working on the build as we speak. We'll send out details on its anticipated release as soon as we have a clearer picture - and yes, like the iOS app, it will be free!

It has been more than 2 months since you posted this. Still waiting on even the roughest of estimates weeks/months/quarters/years.

I find the lack of communication from your organization to be beyond absurd and view the perpetual delay of this app to be a utter failure in customer service.

vtemkin said:
I can't speak for Anova, but my unofficial Anova Remote should be available on Play Store by the end of the week. It won't be free, and, for now, it will be just that - the remote: no cooking recommendations, no pretty interface. I was working on comprehensive Sous Vide app, but the lack of official Anova offering (and, frankly, the lack of official Anova SDK) made me to develop this App and offer it to public. When it's live it will be found at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palagraph.anovaremote

we appreciate that you’re making an app - and hopefully it’ll be a great alternative to the one Anova provides!
at this point though we have paid for an anova app through the kickstarter and if I were to purchase your app I would still be asking Anova to provide what was promised.

I would almost (ALMOST) be willing to forgive them if they were to provide all the android backers a google play credit of the amount required to purchase your app. I’d be more willing to forgive them if they did so AND provided you with dev assistance to bring your app fully to the level they promised in the kickstarter.

I have been using the beta version and really like it. Can’t go wrong for the price!

Hello everyone - the BETA VERSION of the app is now available and we'd love for all of you to test it out and share your thoughts with us! You can get the beta version here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anovaculinary.android&hl=en

Once you've had a chance to try it out, let us know what you think on our Android feedback thread:

http://community.anovaculinary.com/discussion/620/tell-us-what-you-think-about-our-android-beta-release

Please remember that this is the beta version and we'll be making note of your comments on the feedback thread as we continue to move toward the official Android app release. Thank you!!