APO water tank stress cracks

I’m hoping the new one (which has arrived) is a new material. If it’s not, and it cracks again, I will be requesting yet another replacement. I have faith that they will get this right. And I have hope that the box defrosting on my counter contains a tank made from an appropriate material.

I’ll let you know what happens…

I am not an APO owner. If the oven is uninsulated, or lightly so, the water tank will be subject to substantial heat stress. If i designed the oven the water tank would be made of food safe Lexan which is tough as steel and flexes instead of cracking.

APO owners might consider placing a piece of aluminum foil wrapped corrugated cardboard between the oven and the water tank. The foil will reflect heat away from the water tank and the air cells in the cardboard will insulate it.

Might be worth a try even if only temporary until Anova resolves the fault.
Feedback please.

Interesting idea. Someone else suggested using a silicon mat. I have access to the parts for both solutions, but I’m kind of inclined not t do anything so I can see if they have upgraded the material. But look, feel, and tone when I tap, I’m going to say no.

I also wonder if insulating the gap between the tank and the oven might not create heat-related issues in the oven.

Not sure what to do here…

BTW, the oven does seem to be reasonably well insulated, as it holds heat pretty well when you you turn it off.

Joe

Hi Joe, how’s it going? Got enough snow yet?

Silicone conducts heat, that might be a hmmmm?

Really? - “might not create heat-related issues”.
In an oven?

Good to know at that price APO is well insulated. APO v2.0 could be the new standard domestic oven. Add more insulation, a filtered water supply, another fan, and there’s the built-in wall oven everyone wants under $4k.

Enough snow? NEVER! :slight_smile:

I didn’t realize silicon was a conductor, I thought it was an insulator. So that idea is out the window.

Re: heat-related problems, I dunno. I am always a bit reluctant to mess with the ecosystem set up by the engineers who designed stuff. You never know how close to tolerance things are built. So I think I’ll leave it alone and keep an eye on it for now. They do need to change their plastic formula, and it’s possible they already have. Won’t know until I try, I suppose.

I am generally pretty impressed with the oven, and I’m really enjoying it. A 3/4-size built-in might be a great addition to most homes, but, unless they find a way to make this work in a full-size free-standing range, I don’t have enough room in my kitchen, so I’m pretty happy with what they’re shipping now.

Good to hear from you!

Never eh?
One year in Ottawa we had over 180-inches, maybe more, - thankfully not all at once.
That was more than enough for me. Some mornings i would get up about 0400 in order to be first up the hill on Ogilvie Road to Montreal Road. Otherwise one waited for hours til the plows reached what was then the eastern edge of civilization.

Silicon isn’t the best conductor but it is used in bakeware and SILPAT baking sheets. I prefer parchment for baking, even bread. Silicon is terrible for cookies.

As i see it, too often the engineers are engineers, not Chefs or bakers. Ovens are a lot like cars. There’s a lot of little details to sort out in new models. For me it’s better to let someone else do the final product testing and then take advantage of their experience and the manufacturer’s improvements.

You’re from Ottawa? I don’t think I knew that. :slight_smile:

Just an FYI that I had mine cracks and got replacement a month back and sure enough the replacement cracked again.

Not doing anything unusual it just keeps happening! I don’t believe us getting replacement is doing any good. This is a broken design right now.

Hi Joe! How’s your water tank coming along? Hope it has stand the heat?

Hey Back!

The new one has a few very small hairline cracks, but seems to be holding up better than the original. I don’t think they have it beat yet, but much closer.

Joe

Did you use the cardboard with foil or…?

Was thinking to preemptively protect mine

I installed it as-is, where-is. It’s the steam that gets it, so cardboard wasn’t really an option. I considered reflective foil, but then I might not be able to see the cracks easily. So, in it went – naked, as god and Anova’s engineers intended.

:slight_smile:

just wondering. did it help? i might just follow your advice.

Like a charm!

| eshustin
July 9 |

• | - |

just wondering. did it help? i might just follow your advice.

I haven’t had a problem, but I keep my tank filled to the max, might help spread out the heat

p

Same happened to me. Cracked and leaking water. Pity I’ve noticed only when the cabinet on which my oven stands was soaked with water already. At least the floor wasn’t harmed.

I’ve emailed the support. Hope for fast response and ideally permanent solution.

We’ll get ya taken care of!

1 Like

Mine has the same cracks in the corner at the front and also, my drip tray is melted. Sent a note to service.

hi all did anyone end up insulating the water tank from the oven to prevent issues with the water tank? Thanks very much.

I just wrote them about the same problem - I use my oven almost every day and also do a lot of bread baking at its maximum temp. That should be irrelevant though - every part of the oven should be able to withstand every cooking time and temperature the oven is advertised to be able to achieve.

The cracks in my tank are very large, very numerous, and growing. It’s clearly only a matter of time before the tank fails, and it’s also clear that this issue needs to be addressed with an oven redesign and/or a tank redesign.

I had an unrelated issue with the first generation of the oven, and Anova support was VERY responsive and immediately sent me a replacement once we documented that issue.

So my customer experience with Anova has been very positive up to now. Let’s see how they address this issue - I’m not sure it warrants a recall of the oven, but it probably does warrant a tank redesign and replacement. FWIW Anova is now owned by Electrolux, so they can afford to do whatever they need to do to make this right.