APO water tank stress cracks

my tank has had the cracks for a while but has just started leaking. :disappointed:

This is by far the biggest issue with the oven. They need to make a new take using different material or something. Steam in the door is the real only other issue I have anymore.

I reported a crack around Christmas. David Liu said he’d put me on a list for a new one, but that it was news to him that this was a problem.

This morning, the crack gave way, and I have water everywhere. Sent out an emergency request, no idea if/when they’ll respond.

Not happy.

Yes. This is the biggest problem. They need to fix it not just replace them.

And the water getting into the door is second. For me at least.

How long did it take them to get you your replacement? Have you received it yet?

Thanks!

Joe

There was some delay but about a month. They had to replace the whole oven though. Because the steam was getting between the door glass. So a tank might be quick. But it will happen again and again until they actually change the tank design or material.

So you’re saying I should make a pre-emptive report about cracks in the new tank the day it arrives?

Sounds like sound advice!

:slight_smile:

My door is not (currently) leaking, but the tank did crack at the steam outlet and at the hottest part of the side of the oven.

Funny thing: The other side of the oven does not get as hot. Make me wonder if they shouldn’t have mounted the tank on that side instead.

Thanks for the quick response!

Joe

Well it probably gets hotter on that side because air flow is restricted there. It looks pretty symmetrical to me. So I think it would be the same issue. I think they need a better seal or a bigger gap as someone else expected.

I have not received it yet but they replied relatively quickly to my request.

Wait – a month later and you’re still out the oven? Wonder what that does to my 100 days. I’m tempted to send it back and repurchase. We’ve been using it every day – obviously, that has stopped.

Oh no, I have the oven still (with the cracking tank and other issues) but it’s holding together and we are using it quite often. They are only sending replacement parts.

Mine was holding together – until yesterday…

Oh damn! That’d be a concern! I assume they didnt have replacement parts in-stock yet because it’s been a while and nothing been shipped.

FYI, David Liu from Support just got back to me. Nice guy, very apologetic. Get the feeling it’ll be a while before I see a replacement, but at least I’ve been addressed. Lesser Support folks would have ignored me until they had parts to send.

Yeah, they were nice to me as well. I also got from them that there was no design change yet but the 2-year warranty would cover any further issues with the tank/pan and other items.

I was told they got “turned back at Customs.” I’d like to think that’s code for “We’re adjusting the formula for the tank plastic.”

Meanwhile, I wonder if some sort of heat shield between the tank and the oven might help, but I also wonder if that wouldn’t lead to a premature demise of the oven itself.

I really do believe this is a heat problem, and I also believe there must be a plastic out there that is appropriately heat resistant.

Anyway, now we wait.

Tank information: I’ve said before that I really wish all APO users would use this forum, but that’s not happening and Anova doesn’t use it either - very annoying! Anyway, since so many APO owners use Reddit, I’m compelled to scan it every once in a while whether I like it or not (I don’t, particularly). So on Reddit, a frequent APO poster reported that on Facebook, Anova posted the following (I think about a month ago): “For anyone who needs a replacement tank, please contact support at Anova and they’ll get one dispatched to you. This is an issue we’re aware of and we’ve been testing a few approaches to a fix. What you’re seeing here are stress marks on the acrylic tanks. It’s very unlikely that these will cause water leaks” (Sorry Joe!) “but they’re unacceptable for plenty of other reasons. These stress marks appear when the tank is exposed to uneven heating from the steam exhaust, and heat from the near side of the oven. This didn’t show up in pre-production testing due to changes to steam venting that we introduced in final production. We’re testing different tank materials to avoid these stress marks.” (You see, Joe, they’re only “marks” - not to worry!) “…However, we’re focused on finding a material that is both food safe AND BPA free.”

So there it is from Anova - on Facebook apparently - which I don’t use at all and would prefer to avoid completely. I’m going to suggest to Anova that they make use of “their own” forum here, and perhaps if others do the same we might all be able to keep track of useful information in one place! Thanks to all who DO use this forum - I find it extremely useful. BTW, I’m now on my replacement oven which Support provided very efficiently. My first had a cracked (not leaking) tank, though it was large amounts of water pooling in the bottom of the oven that led to the return, nothing to do with the tank. And I pretty much expect this new tank to crack as well until a permanent solution is provided by Anova. Good luck all!

1 Like

I just bought a silicone mat which I will repurpose and stick to the side of the water tank facing the oven. Hope to avoid the melting / cracking issues down the road.

FWIW, my tank started leaking, I sealed it temporarily, and requested a new tank on Jan 29. So here’s a data point: It’s out for delivery as I type this on Feb 17.

Thanks Joel. If i can, will put off requesting a replacement until a more permanent fix in material used in the tank is finalized. So far, i think my temporary solution is doing the job. Encouraged though that their customer support is responsive to this issue. Perhaps they should just “auto ship” replacement tanks to all previous owners once this issue is resolved.