Apple iPhone App

I have had no problems with the Celsius app controlling the Anova. I just wish it also controlled the timer.

Robert

Do we know exactly when the app was actually submitted. The week of the 15th would encompass either the 15th or 16th of Jan. The app should be available by now!

@ageffen Thanks for checking! The app has been submitted but is still in the approval process. Apple’s usual turnaround time is 7-10 days so we expect it to be available any day now and will be sure to post an update as soon as it’s in the iTunes store.

It is now January 29th, and well past Apple’s usual turnaround time of 7-10 days. Was there an issue requiring resubmission, or some other problem we should know about?

Yep, getting a little frustrated now.

I haven’t been checking the App Store compulsively every day. Nope, not me.

Hi folks, I’m not sure what your expectations are of the app, but based on the latest beta version from Anova (released 26 Jan), it’s the collection of the recipes from https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/ which automatically sets the timer and temperature on the Precision Cooker based on the chosen recipe, or allows you to manually set the time and temp. It then allows you to start and stop the unit and also displays the current temperature. It also allows the setting of a temperature offset for those people who have a miscalibrated unit. That’s it though, nothing fancy like changing firmware-type parameters on the device, LED colors, disabling beeps, step cooking times etc. The Precision Cooker also beeps (loud!) intermittently when it’s communicating via Bluetooth with the app which is very annoying, To be honest, with the amount of time the app has been coming, I expected a lot more. Anyway, maybe the release version will be different.

So, it’s time to comment on the app now, if you submitted when you siad, it should be available by now.

Hell… I’d be happy to play with a beta version.

Frankly, I was expecting that this app would be available by the time that I got my unit. Imagine my disappointment to find that it was vaporware at that point in time - and still is as far as I am concerned since I haven’t a method to get it.

What is really happening with the app?

From aarthur’s description, it sounds quite similar to the app that I purchased elsewhere. Hopefully a little more intuitive?

@aarthur , from all the beeping it sounds like you never sent your developer unit for firmware upgrade. The beeping went away with the upgrade.

@fourgotten @gilius - We hear you and we completely understand your frustration and disappointment. We assure you that the iOS app was submitted to Apple on 1/20 and we’re looking forward to its release any day now.

We wanted to make sure the app provided the best experience possible to our customers from the moment you view it in the App Store, to each time you use it to cook sous vide. We never intended to prolong the process or keep people in the dark about the status. We’re truly sorry and we hope you understand.

If you’d like any additional background or want like to chat about it, please feel free to send me a message and I’d be happy to discuss. Thank you!

JordanHouston, can you share the name of the app in iTunes’ app store? There are already several “Anova” apps, mostly statistical calculators, and there are lots of “sous vide” apps. Thanks!

Knowing when it was actually submitted helps. It wasn’t that huge of a deal that it wasn’t quite ready yet when I got the device - new product and all. But I don’t find the physical interface terribly intuitive or easy, so using an app is pretty much the best.

Celcius works, but I am really excited to see what y’all have built.

I agree with @fourgotten about the app readiness…I’m fairly certain my life will remain relatively unchanged by this app, and its delivery date. That said, I am looking forward to it mostly from a geek perspective.

I do find the physical interface fine for the temperature setting, and display of set and actual temperatures, with a simple on-off toggle button that changes color for the two states.

I haven’t used the timer at all because of the seemingly complex operation required: hold some button for 8 seconds while grabbing your left earlobe, hop on one foot, push newly-appearing clock icon for 3 seconds, let go of ear, move temperature wheel to desired time (huh?), feed dogs, recognize that the timer has NOT been set but the temperature is now in Celsius and at 98ºC, unplug unit, and start afresh. I can see where the app’s interface could only help this situation. Here’s hoping that Anova Precision Cooker 2.0 has a separate and easily-set time function as a good human-oriented design would.

There are waaway more Android phones sold in the world. … where is our app???

@celltech On the other hand, the venn diagram of sous vide circulator owners and iphone owners probably overlaps more than that for android users. :slight_smile: Where’s our app?

@Salisbury_Sam you should be able to find it in the App Store once available under “Anova” with the icon illustrating the “A” in the Anova logo against the white background. We’ll update you once we have confirmation that it’s out :slight_smile:

@celltech On the other hand, the venn diagram of sous vide circulator owners and iphone owners probably overlaps more than that for android users. :)

I respectfully disagree, the customisability of Android software seems to attract far more self-professed ‘geeks’ than Apple’s walled-garden ‘locked-in’ approach, which is great for people who just want to use something, not play with it. To me, cooking with an immersion circulator is playing with my food. If I wanted something that just works I would buy a pressure cooker. But then, that’s just my opinion as an Android user versus yours as an Apple user, no disrespect intended. It would be interesting to see some hard stats from Anova themselves, once both apps have been available for some time.

@celltech On the other hand, the venn diagram of sous vide circulator owners and iphone owners probably overlaps more than that for android users. :)

I respectfully disagree, the customisability of Android software seems to attract far more self-professed ‘geeks’ than Apple’s walled-garden ‘locked-in’ approach, which is great for people who just want to use something, not play with it. To me, cooking with an immersion circulator is playing with my food. If I wanted something that just works I would buy a pressure cooker. But then, that’s just my opinion as an Android user versus yours as an Apple user, no disrespect intended. It would be interesting to see some hard stats from Anova themselves, once both apps have been available for some time.

I think SV is more like the walled-garden approach Apple gives you. Sure you can tinker with time and heat but you basically can’t F it up unless you don’t follow the VERY basic guidelines for food preparation and pasteurization. Android you can get yourself in trouble and brick your phone pretty easily if you want to tinker (I’ve had a couple of coworkers do just that).

The playing comes after the SV, torches and such.

@JordanHouston another thing I find slightly annoying about the app is that most of the recipes are called “sous vide” whatever. I think everyone gets that the recipe is using sous vide. Can that be removed?