Boneless, skinless chicken thighs ?

Anybody ever SV these ?
I couldn’t find much online, but I did find one video where a guy did these for 2 hrs @ 160 F, and they apparently turned out quite good. He quick fried them for the sear.
Anyway, I started some about an hour ago for the same 2hrs @ 160 F
I had marinaded mine in Terryaki, and plan to torch them for a quick sear.
Will report back with how these turn out… But still open to ideas.

too high for me. I usually go about 145-150 for 2.5-3 hours. usually a little pink near the bone, but that’s not off putting to me.

TY Brian. Well these were boneless, skinless. But I just ate 4 of them for dinner, and yes, they could have been juicier.
Next time, 150 for 90 minutes, and marinaded overnight, instead of only 3hrs…
Still pretty good though :slightly_smiling_face:

Why would you buy skinless? (it’s SO good for you!) - and awesome when you crisp it up!!!

I pretty much do all of my pork and chicken at 145F. When I do quarter chickens (which I crisp up on the grill with a liberal application of Montreal chicken spice on the skin), they’re SV for 3 hours. Pork chops tend to be 4 hours (sometimes 6 to try to make them a little more tender).

The skin is actually not bad, cooked the right way, but I definitely don’t want to deal with the bones, and I don’t ever see boneless with the skin on…

1 Like

Most often a whole chicken can be bought for less than piece parts. Cutting up a chicken is not hard and can be done in just a few minutes with a sharp knife. You also get the giblets which are tasty and the back and neck for stock. Once you learn how to cut up a chicken you can give deboning an entire bird a try. For fun here is an old video. I worry that we are losing this knowledge as society goes for more and more prepared food. Cutting up a chicken of properly filleting a fish were once skills everyone had. Sadly I think the number of people that feel comfortable with a sharp knife if declining.

They would just about have to give me whole chickens for free, to make it worth it. I get boneless skinless breasts for $1.98 a lb, and thighs for $2.38 and I eat every last bite of it :slightly_smiling_face:
I would get too much waste with whole chickens.

I was always taught to use everything. When we raised or hunted for all our meat I was told by my father that it was unethical to not use every part after you have taken an animals life. It is just a different philosophy than our prepackaged world of today. I love homemade chicken vegetable soup so all the bits are frozen and made into stock.

I hear you, and I agree, but I guarantee you that ALL of rest of the chicken that I’m getting only the thighs or breasts from is being used somewhere… Right down to the guts and bones, ground into fertilizer and pet foods and such.

John, agreed, you can see it in restaurants these days where plating is edging real culinary skills aside. And thanks for sharing a great piece of JP nostalgia.

I’ve been trying to forget how last year i boned and stuffed 24 quail for a dinner party. Never again, i’ll leave microsurgery to real Surgeons. Cooked SV with a duxelles and wild rice stuffing they were delicious though.

John, I’m with you about using the whole animal, although I stay away from the organs on game, today. I’m disabled now and hunt from a blind that I get to on my ATV. It’s not often that I take a deer or a turkey any more. Birds are a thing of the past; grouse were at the top of the list and pheasants second. After the winter of '73 the quail vanished. I wasn’t much of a bunny hunter, but if he got kicked up when I was bird hunting he might get whacked. But, I never wanted the dog to get the idea that that was what we were doing out there. Too many days and hours spent teaching her it was all about the birds. Lotsa venison. My kids didn’t know what beef (instead of ground venison mixed with beef trimmings) was until they moved out. Great dog; amazing memories. I have pictures of my brother and I fileting a picnic table covered like cord word with walleyes from a Lake Erie trip. Just a nostalgic moment, here. Back then you knew how to hunt, fish, butcher, can, preserve and cook everything. A different time, today. You’re right. The skills are being lost.

Weiss, I was a fisherman my whole life too. I have some old photos of a picnic bench covered like that with Rockfish :slightly_smiling_face:
Later, I got more into to sportfishing, and C/R of giant Large Mouth Bass… Sturgeon, Stripers, etc. Never released a Halibut that I didn’t have to though :wink:

I wish I could shoot a deer for my freezer though ! Never hunted, but sure don’t have a problem with it.

I cook chicken thighs all the time, but never sous vide them. They come out so well naturally - tender, juicy, flavorful - never really saw the benefit of what sous vide would offer. If you live near a decent butcher, they’ll make boneless thighs for you with skin on; juicy meat, crispy skin, truly the best of both worlds.

It takes less than a minute to cut the thigh meat off the bone, considerably less with a lot of practice and a small sharp knife. With best skin side down just slash to the bone, cut around the joint at each end, then scrape the bone while you pull the bone off the meat.

That does sound like best of both worlds :slight_smile:

Might try this some time…

From Frank’s post he says to use a sharp small knife. Having truly sharp knives makes food preparation so much easier and less stressful on your hands. Once your knives are sharpened to a razor’s edge here are a few tips to keep them sharp:

• Learn to use a steel and use it each time you are going to cut. Steels do not remove any material from the blade but condition the edge.
  • Only use wooden or polycarbonate boards. Avoid end grain boards and the myth that they are better for your knives.
  • Do not scrape your board with the edge of the knife.
  • Wash and dry by hand never in the dishwasher.
    Follow these simple steps and your knife will retain its edge longer. My second to the last tip, when buying a knife try it in your hand. Subtle design differences make a world of difference as we all have different sized hands. Don’t be fooled into believing you need to spend a fortune to get a good quality knife. There are a number of brands like Victorinox that sell inexpensive knives for commercial use. They hold an edge well and perform on par with knives costing much more.
1 Like

IKEA sells an inexpensive industrial diamond knife hone that looks like a steel. I’ve discovered if regularly used it maintains a superior edge without my having to use sharpening stones.

Some electric knife sharpeners that operate at high speeds can overheat the knife edge and remove the tempering applied by the knife maker.

When using a hone learn to hold your knives as low as 13 degrees to get a fine edge with Japanese and specialty American knives. You will need a larger angle with the popular brands of German knives.

Most of the German manufacturers have now lowered their grind angle to 15° degrees per side. They did this in response to the onslaught of Japanese and Chinese knives that slice a little easier as the blade is thinner at the cutting edge. They are not as robust as the older ones that were sharpened at 20°-25° degrees per side. The smaller the angle the more prone a knife is to chipping if you cut through a bone. I sharpen mine at 12.5° and they are like razors. I keep an old Chinese cleaver and old chef knife around for rough work. I have been teaching my granddaughters knife skills and at 7 and 9 they are doing well. When we cut vegetables for dinner they always show me their claw hand so the knife rides on the knuckles and never cuts them. So far technique has won out and there have been no cuts in the kitchen.

Frank, I don’t use the diamond hones as they remove a small amount of material from the knife unlike the hard steel ones. Also in unskilled hands it is easy to actually dull a knife rather than restoring the edge. I wish the TV chefs would stop making honing look so difficult, almost like a knife fight they go so fast. Actually proper angle not speed is whats important.

2 Likes

I know before I even mention this, that people are going to have “their own favorite brands”…
But I just recently got onto a little bit of a knife buying kick, and I am absolutely loving my cheap Mercer Culinary knives. These things are ridiculous sharp ! I’ve bought two 8" Chefs, two wavy edged bread knifes, a scary fillet knife, and a single steak knife (because we already have a couple new sets of steak knives, and my GF is not as picky as I am :slight_smile: lol)

Anyway, these are not forged, and they may not hold an edge “as long” as a $100 or more knife… But I guarantee those much more expensive knives wont (could not be) any sharper out of the package ! These are literally razor sharp.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P0OMLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011I8MIE8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZ0YT2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGQDM36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1